Is there an "uninstall" function in the Mac?

There are a lot of applications bundled into the Mac (Mac Mini) that I have no use for (games, garage band, iweb, etc. and can put the disk space to better use.

I don't see any "uninstall" function as I did in Windows (nor in the Finder Help window).

I thought I would try simply using the Finder -> Find function, and enter one of the applications I want to trash, then delete every item that comes up under that app's name - so I get to delete the Library items I may not know about. Is that the correct technique?

I do notice that under some apps, the finder brings up a bunch of files anding in ".h" that I am afraid to touch. Can I delete those as well?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Barry

Basically, you simply have to drag the _app_ itself to the trash and empty it: That's it. And that's why there's often no uninstaller. Delete it: That's it. With some apps, there are "Application Support" files and folders that use a lot of space. Garage Band is such an example. There you have to delete the folders in Application Support directories as well to save the space.

Some programs come with Uninstall feature. They are installed onto their own
folder, where there is the Program.app and something like Uninstall Program.app.

The ".h" files are header files. They're used mainly for compiling programs, providing function prototypes and system constants. I see no reason why they'd be installed on a normal system, but they're usually pretty small, anyway. They're especially useful to keep around if you decide to do anything with XCode or DarwinPorts or something.

Some Apps include this uninstall facility and if it does its best to use it. For instance I just had an issue with a user's Acrobat 7, the support page on Adobe said to remove and re-install. I did this the Mac way by trashing the App and plists and receipts and prefs, and the problemm persisted. I re-installed, and then used the Uninstall function (from the Acrobat application folder in Apps), then re-installed and it was indeed fixed.

Back