is this hardware enough to try mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhash

Registered
I want to try mac os, but I've some doubts regarding mac os. I have an intel pentium 4 processor 1.8GHz, with 1GB DDR primary memory, and a nvidia 6200 128mb GPU, and secondary memory of 120GB, which release or version os mac runs on this system? I'm desperate to try Mac-Os once...

You're talking about trying a Hackintosh - or an Intel PC running a hacked version of the Mac OS, correct?

The "Mac experience" isn't just about the OS. It's the combo of the hardware and OS together because the OS is built and optimized for known sets of variables in the hardware.

I don't think you are getting the flavor of the OS by hacking it onto any old Intel box. YMMV

Yeah, if you want to try a Mac, you'll need to get a Mac. Otherwise, your experience will be tainted by the incredible amount of problems you'll run into trying to hack the operating system to run on unsupported hardware.

Mac is about a seamless, trouble-free experience that involves no hacking, patching, drivers, fiddling around or otherwise wasting time on pointless technical tasks. Without trying a Mac, you'll never know what a great experience using a Mac can be.

thanks a lot for the replies, I'll buy a compatible hardware n software at all the cost, but I thought some OSx86 would run on this hardware so I asked here, it was great to be a part of this community, thanks again

For one, the mods frown upon discussions like this on here because it is not legal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware and talk of such things and how to perform it could implicate the forum and its members. Even the OSx86 sites make it very clear that it is illegal to do this and you're doing it at your own risk.

There are G4 Power Macs, eMacs, and some other Leopard compatible Macs that you can find for pennies now. They won't be as lightning fast as the Intel Macs, but they will allow you to run Mac OS X (even Leopard) and give you the Macintosh experience that you're looking for. If you don't feel like going through eBay, you can check out a list of vendors on the Low End Mac site for some great deals.

http://lowendmac.com/deals.shtml

Great Link Nixgeek, I have been looking for a good site to buy a ppc mini from. I am steering from eBay lately. Its getting aggrivating and cost the same as a store.

IMO the Mac mini would work very well for you. I've been using one for about a year side by side with my big WinXP box and think very highly of it.

You can easily install Windows on the mini and have the choice of booting into Windows or Mac OS X. You can also run Windows as a window under OS X.

Either of both of the above Windows options are very simple to do; unlike hackintosh require no technical expertise and are legal and moral. They run windows programs exactly as they do on your present PC.

If you do buy a mini, here's my suggestion: buy it with the most RAM you can afford. On a mini upgrading the RAM is very difficult.

have fun,
-Nick

Started to play with boot camp since I lasted posted on this thread and I can vouch for it. XP and Vista both run great. I did it just to run Rosetta Stone but I see no problem running anything more intense. The commercial wasn't lying(?) when they said Mac hardware runs Vista better. Puts any Vista Box on the shelf to shame with open and closing windows and applications.

I'll buy a macbook soon, but before that assembled a much better computer, with a
Q6600 core 2 quad, 2.4 GHZ processor, with 8MB L2
intel DG35EC motherboard, supporting firewire, 1066Mhz FSB.
primary mem of 4GB DDR2.
secondary memory, HDD 500GB SEAGATE, with 8mb cache.
and an nvidia 8600GTS, 512MB DDR2 display adapter,

with these config, my sysm is now a gaming beast with a 64 bit vista installed, its just rocking. now for a laptop I'll go for mac.

by the way, lemme know if any legal versions of mac supports my hardware, I'll purchase one. also please lemme know if it supports dual booting with vista or linux? like what I'm using it now.. or if it can support for VMWARE, thats better.

thanks

No. The only clear legal way to running Mac OS X is buying a Mac that comes with Mac OS X. The same thing goes for things like vmware. Apple doesn't allow running OS X virtually on just any X86-box. You'll need a Mac for that. (And only OS X Server is allowed to be run virtually - on Mac OS X Server, of course.)

I'll buy a macbook soon, but before that assembled a much better computer, with a
Q6600 core 2 quad, 2.4 GHZ processor, with 8MB L2
intel DG35EC motherboard, supporting firewire, 1066Mhz FSB.
primary mem of 4GB DDR2.
secondary memory, HDD 500GB SEAGATE, with 8mb cache.
and an nvidia 8600GTS, 512MB DDR2 display adapter,

with these config, my sysm is now a gaming beast with a 64 bit vista installed, its just rocking. now for a laptop I'll go for mac.

by the way, lemme know if any legal versions of mac supports my hardware, I'll purchase one. also please lemme know if it supports dual booting with vista or linux? like what I'm using it now.. or if it can support for VMWARE, thats better.

thanks

I would have figured that from all the posts responding to your original one that you would have understood that you can only run Mac OS X seamlessly (and legally) on a genuine Macintosh. I even posted a link from Low End Mac with more affordable options for running OS X. One thing to note about Macs is that they retain their value, so if you were to purchase a G5 Mac or a 1st-generation Intel Mac, you would still be able to run Mac OS X at very usable speeds while still keeping current and for very little cost. My father purchased a used dual-processor G4 running at 867 MHz with Tiger and he actually said to me that it felt surprisingly fast. Heck, I still run an almost-20-year-old 68K-based Mac with Mac OS 8.1 and it STILL has a lot of use for me!

Now, your PC should be able to dual-boot with GNU/Linux without any problems if you're using XP. I have not attempted this with Vista personally since I don't run Windows on any of my PCs anymore, but I'm sure the information on dual-booting with Vista is out there on the Internet. Plus, considering that Vista has been around for practically 2 years, I would say that most distributions would be able to handle dual-booting with Vista just fine at this point. Nevertheless, do the research to see if this is in fact the case.

I'll be honest, I have tried to do what you're looking to do and I can tell you that it's not a trivial task. I'm sure that installing Gentoo Linux at Stage 1 would probably be easier. So why bother with the headaches of building a Hackintosh? You're better off just running OS X on a genuine Mac so that you can get the seamless experience of what the Mac is all about.

Since enough has been said about the subject, I'm closing this thread. The user has all the required information. We can't say more about anything hackintosh here, your lowendmac-links are useful. Anything else can go into another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back