iTunes 2.0.3!!

Still no new temp files yet! :D I hope I've banished them.

These are the permissions for my iTunes folder:

drwxr-xr-x 8 simmy staff 264 Dec 18 03:11 iTunes

... and the permissions for the files/folder inside there:

drwxr-xr-x 2 simmy staff 264 Nov 17 22:35 iTunes Music
-rw-r--r-- 1 simmy staff 274010 Dec 16 00:28 iTunes Music Library
-rw-r--r-- 1 simmy staff 274010 Dec 18 03:56 iTunes Music Library (2)

Nothing inside of the iTunes Music folder, because I keep all my music stored in the Music folder of my home directory.

Originally posted by simX
These are the permissions for my iTunes folder:

drwxr-xr-x 8 simmy staff 264 Dec 18 03:11 iTunes

... and the permissions for the files/folder inside there:

drwxr-xr-x 2 simmy staff 264 Nov 17 22:35 iTunes Music
-rw-r--r-- 1 simmy staff 274010 Dec 16 00:28 iTunes Music Library
-rw-r--r-- 1 simmy staff 274010 Dec 18 03:56 iTunes Music Library (2)

Thanks. Hmmm... I'm now looking into the idea of whether or not it may have something to do with permissions (of one of the iTunes folders). On the subject of write-read-execute permissions, SimX, will you start a new thread explaining the differences between "staff", "admin", "wheel", etc. as well as when you permit or don't permit "execution" -- I noticed that you separate execute from read (I always thought that they were used in conjunction and that you still needed to have execute 'on' if it it is read only).

Originally posted by blb
The reason for the reboot is it updated the iPod driver kernel extension (/System/Library/Extensions/iPodDriver.kext).

lsbom /Library/Receipts/iTunes2.pkg/Contents/Resources/iTunes2.bom if you want to see every file it installed; everything but the iPod driver went into /Applications/iTunes.app.

One thing it definitely fixed is the screen saver/monitor energy saver problem; these now kick in if iTunes is playing.

OK, this doesn't really have anything to do with iTunes, but why can't the system re-load extensions without rebooting. I would think that by now, if a new extension was installed, the system should be able to reload it right away.

That would be sweet.

I was just playing some music in iTunes 2.0.3 and noticed that there was no pause between songs - in fact there was a really nice overlap as one song crossfaded to the next. I checked the preferences and sure enough an option I've never seen named "Crossfade Playback" was enabled.

It's really subtle but it noticeably enhances the experience.... especially with good ambient music.....

Just noticed an interesting bug. When changing songs iTunes appears to be drawing a big black horizontal line across an area below and to the left of the middle of the screen - into the "global drawing port," on top of everything underneath. It might be related to one of my visual plugins, but they're turned off. Weird...

Originally posted by devonferns

OK, this doesn't really have anything to do with iTunes, but why can't the system re-load extensions without rebooting. I would think that by now, if a new extension was installed, the system should be able to reload it right away.

That would be sweet.

It can. Try 'whatis kextload' and 'whatis kextunload'.

The problem seems to be either that Apple engineers are lazy, or that they haven't really implemented everything they claim to have. (my guess is the former) And of course, if Apple engineers are lazy, nobody else has any higher standards to shoot for.

The old Apple mentality, where you have to reboot anytime you install anything, serves lazy developers well. Nobody finds this out of place, so I guess it saves developers writing a two line script for the end of their installers...

Originally posted by scruffy

It can. Try 'whatis kextload' and 'whatis kextunload'.

The problem seems to be either that Apple engineers are lazy, or that they haven't really implemented everything they claim to have. (my guess is the former) And of course, if Apple engineers are lazy, nobody else has any higher standards to shoot for.

The old Apple mentality, where you have to reboot anytime you install anything, serves lazy developers well. Nobody finds this out of place, so I guess it saves developers writing a two line script for the end of their installers...

If they have implemented everything they claim then they must be lazy. This seems really good. Just unload the old extension, update it then load the new one. I'd much rather not restart my computer, expecially for something as simple as iTunes.

Back