Jaguar fast enough to kill Mac OS 9?

AppleWatcher

Tigerrr
What's your experience? Does Jaguar run as fast as OS 9 did?
I can tell you Mac OS X 10.2 isn't as fast as OS 9 was on an iMac DV SE 400 MHz... :rolleyes: :(

AppleWatcher

I wouldn't say the speed kills OS 9, but in my experience, the functionality sure does. Quality, not quantity. :)

Whether Jaguar's speed can kill OS 9 is not the question. Whether Steve Jobs can kill OS 9 is the question. And YES is the answer. January 2003. :p

No, but really, I don't think there's much left to hang on to OS 9. Speed? The difference isn't enough, and my productiveness has risen from OS 9 to 10.1 to 10.2. People waiting for ProTools (and other Audio software) or XPress (which runs in Classic) are the reasons not to kill OS 9 just yet.

But come January, it's dead.

By the way: I haven't got Classic installed.

No guys I didn't mean functionality (because I agree Jaguar is better) but just speed.
I think you guys agree with me OS 9 was (much?) faster than Jaguar now is (especially shutting down).

BTW; I haven't Classic installed, either :p

AppleWatcher

Originally posted by AppleWatcher
I think you guys agree with me OS 9 was (much?) faster than Jaguar now is (especially shutting down).

Much? Nope. Shutting down? Why? And how does the 'speed' of shutting down even matter? ;)

This may depend a bit on how you're using your computer, also. There are people who constantly open and close applications (or so it seems, as they're lamenting about app-start speeds), but I don't do that. OS X has great memory management. Photoshop, for example, while I haven't used it in the past two hours, is just open. And OmniWeb doesn't slow down because of it. Also Illustrator and InDesign are open, I notice now that I watch the Dock. And QT Player. Oh and iTunes is playing my favourite music. BBEdit is awaiting files to edit from Fetch, iCal is always open, Mail, of course, iChat and Extensis Suitcase. LaunchBar, too. TextEdit, of course, as I'm a writer. And sometimes I forget to close Microsoft Word, when one of my authors sends me his/her texts in .doc format. But does my computing experience slow down because of it? Nope.

Shutting down MY computer is slow, mainly because of all the open applications. That's why I DON'T. Yeah, it's a PowerBook. But even an iMac doesn't use that much power when put to sleep. And wakeup from sleep time just rocks.

Jaguar is just about as fast/snappy on a top of the end Machine than OS 9 is on my G4 533. It's a lot like how my dad's SE seemed faster under OS 6.8 than 7.1. All new OS need to have the hardware to take advantage and make them as fast as possible. Soon enough everything will make Jaguar seem snappy as todays high-end is tomorrows low-end. I'm sorry, that probably makes no sense but I don't think it's off the wall enough to have Ed kick me out or worse, banish me to Harve's Lounge. ;)

Okay there we gow!

-Mail is open
-MSN is open
-IE is open
-iTunes is open
-Word is (often) open
-Googolator is open (calculating... :D)
-Sherlock is open for translating weird words :p

BUT it takes minutes to start them all, en when I start other programs, system performance isn't that great.... :( Maybe it's because of the Finder? Is it cocoanized?? :p

But, MSN and IE are very slow and especially MSN is kinda buggy.

I think Jaguar needs a Panther :D

The only things I'm upset about are application load time (which is not that bad actually) and the scroll bar lagging.

-MSN is open
-IE is open

But, MSN and IE are very slow and especially MSN is kinda buggy.
ever thought what these 2 have in common, MSN is especially horrible use fire.

I prefer Proteus to Fire.

Proteus: http://www.indigofield.com

Even though Proteus doesn't work well with the MSN network for the moment (since Aug. there has been BIG problems with MSN) -- which means I have to use Fire for the moment…

The Finder oughta be Apple's posterchild Carbon application. It's still laggy in some areas, but it's coming along well. It doesn't have to do anything with app launching. It's just that apps tend to take longer launching in a UNIX environment. Don't know why that is, but it IS like that. But just leave them open and you won't have to launch them again. And yeh, try to avoid MS software. Or, as I said, leave them open so you don't have to wait for them. And that was System 6.0.8 on the SE, there was on 6.8 :p

Jaguar is good enough for my everyday creative needs. Macromedia, Adobe and FCP3 runs like a dream.

Chimera solved most of my pain when browsing, and the tab function is a dream to use. Especially when you are on the forums.

I am stuck with OS9 on my G4/867 because some dudes in Digidesign is not agreeing with EMagic on the release of ProTools X. Gee... corporate bull making my life miserable.

I am not sure if they can figure out how they can port the plugz to OS X without having to re-purchase everything all over again and I have a big plugz library...

Damn.

I am happy with Jaguar though I will need Panther to speed things up. LOL.

Hell, gimmer Cheetah! ha ha ha.... that should really speed things up.

I don't think "speed" is the question, at least not for me. Having "switched" last year, with the intro of OS X, I am having to learn a new set of user habits. In Winland, it was necessary to do a lot of opening and closing, to prevent the blue screen blues, and if I opened a couple of big apps at the same time, I could count on slooooowwwwww work. So, I closed a lot, so I could open another app. And, win apps, with a decent processor and enough ram, do open with more snap than in OS X. (And I have a really good win machine--IBM 300XL, with all the goodies--and it still crashed.)

However, and this is the big one for me, with OS X (10.2), I can open as many of my big apps as I want, experience no slow down in performance, and run no risk of system crash.

All I have to do is learn a new set of work habits--i.e., open my apps and leave them open, as long as I want. Switching among open apps is as snappy as anyone could want.

This is one "switcher" who is as happy as a clam in Macworld!

I think the performance of 10.2 does go back when you open a lot of apps and when you're networking.
But OK, now I've Fire and it's much faster than MSN. What about IE?

AppleWatcher

I think the performance of 10.2 does go back when you open a lot of apps and when you're networking.
But OK, now I've Fire and it's much faster than MSN. What about IE?

Chimera: chimera.mozdev.org

Back