jaguar upgrade path?

I can wait for 10.2 or whatever version is available when I purchase my new Macintosh NEXT YEAR!. The way I see it, I'm already on a slower-than-molasses-in-January Blue & White G3 and no amount of code tweaking is going to squeak-out any higher performance from this timeless old pal of mine. Like I said, I can wait. I think everyone should seriously evaluate the value of the upgrade. Do you REALLY need it? Can you live without it? As for .Mac and teh $100/year thing...I'll just get a cable modem and host my website on my computer. And as for 100MB of disk space at .Mac, I just placed an order for an 80GB Firewire hard drive at ClubMac. Another plus is that once you've burned your data to cheap 50 cent CD's (redundant backups included), I won't have to worry about viruses infections either. Apple needs to offer MUCH MUCH MORE for me to pay $100/year for "services".

Becareful about the "service" tax placed on our lives these days...cell phones, pagers, internet access, cable TV (I don't have this, but many people do), satelite dishes (ditto cable comment). There are so many people and businesses that want you to part with your money. Just be sure you are getting for everything you expected.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
The way I see it, I'm already on a slower-than-molasses-in-January Blue & White G3 and no amount of code tweaking is going to squeak-out any higher performance from this timeless old pal of mine.
You wouldn't believe how faster Jaguar is compared to 10.1. It's like using Mac OS X at Mac OS 9 speed (on the same computer). Upgrading to Jaguar, is exactly that : an UPgrade. (It's not like it was when changing to System 6 to 7 (for those who remember), Mac OS 8 to 9 (for the younger crowd) or from Win 98 to ME. You really do get some performance improvements beyond the featuritis.)

Agreed, your G3 won't run like a G4 1,4 GHz, but it'll run at least like molasses in April, or even May ! ;) One of my computer is a beige desktop G3 : that's much older than you B&W G3. With Jaguar, it is totally revived : it is positively incredible. (And I still have the original video card...)

More RAM (you can never have enough) and a new OS is still cheaper than a new computer...

------------------------------
Note : just for the sake of it, before installing 10.2 final, I'll reinstall the Public Beta. That should be interesting to see how slow that one was and to see the progress made in 2 years ! ;)

totally off topic, but chemistry_geek, check out pricewatch.com for them CDs.

I paid 5 cents a piece last time I bought CDs. :D

Originally posted by xaqintosh
hmmm... you're not helping us cheat the system are you? I didn't think so. ;)

(1 Jaguar CD: $69, coming right up!) :)

Another off-topic diversion, but I hear that in the latest dev seeds the OS install has moved to two CD's - mid install it asks for the next CD. This fact is supported by Apple's new requirement for 3 GB (whoa!) of HD space for Jaguar installation. I don't think it is really possible to compress 3 gigs into 650 or 700 MB these days.

BTW, anyone else actually like the new furry Jaguar look? I was getting tired of the same ol' Aqua X on every CD but most peple here seem to hate it.

Originally posted by Javintosh
people have pointed out in another thread that when you buy through the apple education store, the info you put in about your school is not really checked in any way...

not suggesting anything, just menioning and interesting fact.

oh, BTW>Educational price for 10.2 is $69. ;)

I don't know about the not checking part, but I have known folks ;) who got the education price through friends or relatives who had legitimate access to these prices. Both my parents are faculty, but I wouldn't dream of improperly using this program. ;)

Originally posted by Androo52
and a les paul.

Yes! The 1958 model--don't settle for anything else!

Back to topic, I guess I will have to live without upgrade. After all, it will not be available here in next 3 to 6 months, anyway.

On the other hand, there is so much immobile /usr/local stuff on my boxes that it's not funny

Originally posted by Snowball

BTW, anyone else actually like the new furry Jaguar look? I was getting tired of the same ol' Aqua X on every CD but most peple here seem to hate it.

I do!! I think it is a nice touch. I heard that Pixar did the fur effect (hmm, how did Apple do that:p?). It looks the best on the apple.com home page, with the large "X", and the tabs on the OS X page look cool too.

Also, is this the first time Apple used a code name (Jaguar) in the final product's marketing and advertising (the box says Mac OS X; Version 10.2 Jaquar)?

You know what, i forget who said it, but he was right. They spent so much time and effort on this. And it shows. Everyone, i'm buying Jaguar!!!!!!!!!
I'll also get one of those Parker Fly guitars.....
those are cool.
Oh yeah and I need new clothes from Abercrombie and Fitch...... Yeah I think that's all...... Oh wait, I want to get a bunch more dvds.
That is all.

ok thats enough stuff that you need to buy.

and I'm getting jaguar too. and a boostaroo. and a SoundBug. and a new mouse. and some more cd-rws. and... and... etc.

I expect I will buy this pretty soon after its release also. I will wait a bit to see how well the final product delivers on the supposed speed improvements, and to get the first round of bug fixes out of the way.

Of course, I also have to space out my other upgrade purchases like Photoshop and Office to keep my computer spending under my wife's radar!;)

ROTFLMAO!

that's a hoot... $129 for Jaguar

here's a real b*tch... Windows XP Professional - $299 ($199 Upgrade)

don't complain about your "expensive" upgrade.... it's not much compared to Windows

and you don't need to buy it now... where does it say BUY JAGUAR NOW! BUY NOW OR ELSE!

NOWHERE!!!!

Wait for a while and then buy it if you feel like it...

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
ROTFLMAO!

here's a real b*tch... Windows XP Professional - $299 ($199 Upgrade)

don't complain about your "expensive" upgrade.... it's not much compared to Windows

Yeah I upgraded my Win 98 box to XP Pro $199 to upgrade a 5 year old operating system compared to $129 a year it looks like I'll have to spend on my mac if this trend continues.

When I bought my mac the sales women made a point of the 3 included OS updated coupons. I thought yeah I'll save a bit on updating the OS over the next couple of years, but it turns out they are useless (why does Apple even put them the box?). Now to have the latest update i have to pay $129 with in the first year and lets face 10.2 is a funky much hyped update not a new OS.

I made the "switch" now with all this jaguar and .mac BS I'm seriously considering selling up and switching back.

Back