Java on OS X forum

cfleck said:
Isn't that what the "Software Programming & Web Scripting" one is for?

I guess you're right, no one cares enough about Java on OS X for Java to have its own forum. Apple can't even keep up with the Java releases from Sun. It's strange to see Java on OS X turn out this way because when OS X was still 10.1, Steve Jobs promised that OS X would be a very strong supporter of Java.
Now Java on OS X can't even keep up with Java on free Linux. What's the purpose of paying for an OS when the customer is buying service of lower quality than that of a free OS?

I understand the beef, but I must say that for all practical purposes, the JVM on OS X has stayed up to date well enough for me. Given I would like to play with Java 5, but I guess I'll just have to deal.

I'll start complaining as soon as apps and applets are written in 5 and I can't use them.

osxhla said:
I guess you're right, no one cares enough about Java on OS X for Java to have its own forum. Apple can't even keep up with the Java releases from Sun. It's strange to see Java on OS X turn out this way because when OS X was still 10.1, Steve Jobs promised that OS X would be a very strong supporter of Java.
Now Java on OS X can't even keep up with Java on free Linux. What's the purpose of paying for an OS when the customer is buying service of lower quality than that of a free OS?

Uhm... I care.

I do lots of coding that could be anything from back-end webservice functionality, to automation engines, to full-on rich client applications. Rich clients are still very much a part of my coding efforts. Integrated GUI libraries are really important to me.

That leaves a lot to be desired in many of the cross-platform languages out of the box... Python (which I love) doesn't have built-in GUI libraries. Perl (which I hate), likewise. Cross-platform C, C++, Objective-C all require external GUI libraries.

The GUI components in .NET on Mono aren't quite up to par for cross-platform yet, tho', I DO love C#.

That leaves Java for my cross-platform work. So, Java is becoming more and more important to me as I'm now starting to branch out to Apple coding as well as my other work.

Back