Key types two characters

Okotok

Registered
My period key has started givivg two characters everytime I press it.
Simple press gives: -.
SHIFT + . : _>
OPTION + . : –≥
SHIFT + OPTION + . : —˘

I have tried all keyboard settings and there are no text replacements in the settings.
My keyboard is a US keyboard on a M1 MacBook Pro from 2020 running Ventura 13.6.1 (this came out 13-.6-.1 before edit!!)

Any ideas why this can happen? This is the only key that has any issues.
Please help!!

Open your Settings, then the Keyboard pane.
Then, Input Sources. Click the Edit button.
Enable "Show input menu in menu bar"
Now, click on the new icon in your menu bar, where you will see a choice "Show Keyboard Viewer"
Watch that Keyboard Viewer as you press the period key on your keyboard. It will show when you press the period.
Do any other keys appear to respond, even though you press only the period key?
If the answer is yes, that's your verification that the keyboard has failed, and will need to be replaced.

Thank you very much! I tried this and of course two keys responded, both the period key and the dash (-_) key.
Funny though, the day after I tried this, the error is not occuring anymore! We'll see if it returns later, then I know how to check.

Thank you very much! I tried this and of course two keys responded, both the period key and the dash (-_) key.
Funny though, the day after I tried this, the error is not occuring anymore! We'll see if it returns later, then I know how to check.
I'm thinking you had a crumb, or debris, in your keyboard. A can of compressed air can fix this (or occasionally make it worse.)

Back