Keyboard freezes attempty to setup Windows on mac mini

maw

Registered
Boot camp download went well but now when I try to install Windows XP Pro on the mac mini, the keyboard freezes at the "Welcome to Setup" window. To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER." I can't get pass this window to continue setup. I booted into mac to change the power saving scheme so nothing goes to sleep. My keyboard is a mac usb. It works until I get to this screen. Tried it 3 times. I'm out of options. I need to get this done for work. Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks
MaryAnn

Do you have your keyboard connected via a USB hub? If so, the XP installation cannot see your keyboard. It must be connected directly to the MacMini.
Same thing happened to me until I figured it out.

I think there's something wrong with my windows install disc. After trying 2 keyboards, on the 3rd try I found the Adesso keyboard that let me install windows. However, after installing windows and the mac drivers, I come up with a usbechi.sys not found. Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for information. Maybe therer's something wrong with my install cd?

I've had issues in the past with some Win installation discs. Some won't load USB keyboards and I had to resort to using a PS2 keyboard.
It looks like a system file is missing (usbechi.sys).
You could try to find it in the installation disc, copy and paste to the system32 folder.
On the other hand, if Win is installed, you could try switching keyboards and rebooting. It might do the trick. No gurantees.

Back