Kickass G5, what happened?

dalo

Registered
This is classic. I love my mac and all, but Apple is not my God. Think of it:

"I can install a really recent Microsoft Office on my Windows 2000 system, which is slightly older than eight years, yes.".

This is kind of embarrassing. I bought an Dual-G5 for use with Aperture professionally. One year later it was totally unsupported, basically. I bought a serious computer for over $2500, and I still can't go from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3. Apple doesn't care about old customers, it seems. The only reason G5 was abandoned was because it wouldn't do in a laptop computer to to energy consumption issues, and I understand that.

Has Apple's high-end systems developed into products only meant for corporate customers/millionaires who doesn't care about cost issues?

The latest PowerMac G5 computer was introduced in October 2005 and discontinued in August 2006. That's over 4 years of use.

I understand your frustration, but this is the way it will be in terms of technology for the forseeable future: there's no guarantee that future technology/software (especially 3 or 4 years down the road) is going to be compatible with the computer you purchase today.

Just because a G5 won't scale down to laptop form-factor doesn't mean that's the sole reason it was abandoned. The PowerPC roadmap wasn't looking so hot, and Intel was busy releasing chips that trumped the PowerPC in many ways -- in order for Apple to stay competitive with the "other" desktops being offered by other companies, the switch to Intel processors was a no-brainer.

Your G5 still runs the software available for it in its heyday just fine, not to mention that the PowerMac G5 is still "supported" and is not "obsolete" (which I believe comes after 7 years). Sure, you can't run the latest and greatest OS and consumer/prosumer software, but neither can some of the early Intel-based Macs, either (specifically the early Core Duo iMacs and MacBooks).

Time marches on. Your computer is still alive, kicking, and very useful, and still does everything today as well as it did 4 years ago.

"I can install a really recent Microsoft Office on my Windows 2000 system, which is slightly older than eight years, yes.".

This is kind of embarrassing....

The embarrassing part is when you don't check your information. Office 2003 can be installed on MS Windows 2000, but the 'really recent' Office 2007 (released nearly 4 years ago) needs Windows XP SP2 as a minimum.
Curious what that has to do with a rant about your G5 - as you can see, life moves ahead with Microsoft, too.

Office might have been a bad example. However, basically what I'm saying is that Apple should support their powerpc users a little longer. Not forever, of course, but a little longer. Besides this G5 issue, a lot of people out there can't afford a new mac and are looking into used computers, and why shouldn't they do that? 10.5 as of this writing cannot be considered "old", but these users will inevitably be left behind as "time marches on". Which it does, of course. This isn't a nostalgia thing in itself from my part.

However, from a philosophical standpoint, I don't like the Intel transition, no. But that's not just because I can't afford one, it's about Apples past image. I loved the Think Different campaign back in the late 90's when Apple really WAS different and not mainstream. Contrary, being mainstream means more sales obviously. I loved my Apple II even in the nineties, mainly because it made me feel different. I couldn't do much with it, but I didn't care.

Apple continues to support 10.5.
Although 10.4 is no longer actively updated, Apple does still provide updates for specific apps for that - example is Safari, iTunes, Quicktime with versions specific for Tiger.
If your Apple software still does what you need, why would you need to upgrade to newest version, if no other compelling reason exists?
It can be a tough situation when you get caught in the middle of a major technology shift.
I think Apple will decide very soon not to provide support for PPC Macs with their newer products. At some point, iTunes will migrate to Intel only, along with Quicktime, and the other technology apps. I use iTunes as an example, because it's the primary support for iPods, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, and whatever other media technology Apple may introduce soon...
You're in much the same position as those hoping that Apple would continue with support for 680x0 processors, when the PPC was introduced. There's lapover time, when both are supported, and then the older systems are given less and less time, and developers seldom go back to support older systems with new software versions - and why should they?
Your philosophical position does not prevent technology from moving ahead -

Back