LaCie Extreme Triple Interface

Guaire

Registered
My Lacie drive wouldn't mount. As I started it I held down the lighted button. It didn't change colors but the volume mounted. It worked through USB. I'll try the Firewire 800 tomorrow. I'm using it with an older Mac Book 13" It has a bunch of ports. Ethernet, Thunderbolt 2, USBs, firewire 800 and a slot for an SD card. I'm running it with a thunderbolt 27" monitor. The charger cable from the monitor works with the MacBook. Also, I have a thunderbolt 2 OWC dock.
I'll use it for some old video projects in FCP 7.

Attachments

• Front LC 14.jpg
    Front LC 14.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Rear LC 13.jpg
    Rear LC 13.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 3
My bad.
First it wouldn't mount. I switched from Firewire 800 to USB and it mounted. I believe this heavy tank of a drive has four drives? It was difficult to find any real info on this thing. The user manual is available, but it's all very basic.
So I believe it's a 4 drive system, sort of a permanent RAID that has no RAID software. In my idea, it's 4 drives that are one 'volume'. It's the one volume that mounts.
Disk Utility only sees one device and one volume.
I ran Disk Warrior 5 on it and DW says it's good.
I'm thinking the FW800 port has gone south. I'll try it through the second 800 port. If that fails I'll try the 400 port with a 400/800 adapter. If that fails I'll stick with the USB.

It problem in Hardware two disk raid sense you said in firmware/usb outs on that drive! How is the raid Zero is formatted? I ask because sense the hardware raid it was formatted FAT32 for Windows Machines! Sense you are connected with uSB/Firewire device can Disk Untility repair that drivve? I ask because it well know train drive will fail after 3-5 years!

The LaCie formatting must be some kind of old proprietary system. Disk utility read it as one drive.
Tonight it didn't mount with usb or FW800. I'll connect it to my new iMac. I'm running an OWC raid with their raid software. I'll see if the old LaCie can show up on it. If so I'll re-format it using the OWC current app.
Otherwise, I'll be trying to figure out how to disassemble it and test the drive individually.

I put a volt meter on the power supply. It passed. It has 5 volts where it's supposed to. Looks like it's time to open the case. I can mount each drive separately and re-format them. From there I can see what's wrong in there.

if it uses traditional had drives one could have failed! Consumer grade traditional drives seen to last 3-5 years! NAS drives are better made (about $10 more and slower at 5400 MBS but last about 10-12 years!

Nothing was mounting. I pulled the drives. I got them all formatted. They are a set of 4 500Gig IDE drives. All I need now is a 4 drive IDE enclosure.
That's an iMac running 10.6.8. I formatted them with Disk Utility.
Seagate 500G SZ 88.jpgLab Disk SZ 89.jpg

Satcomer - " I ask because sense the hardware raid it was formatted FAT32 for Windows Machines!"
That's true. I got a second enclosure with 4 3.5" drives that are IDE. When I used a drive adapter/usb connector to my iMac the native formatting is 'Fat32'.
The LaCie enclosures have their own way of striping the RAID. I can't use Disk Utility or another app that I know of.
I would buy another enclosure, but it's darn near impossible to find 4 drive IDE enclosure.

Anything here work for you?

OWC ThunderBay 4 mini Four-Bay Thunderbolt External Storage Enclosure with SoftRAID XT for 2.5-inch SATA Drives

The magic word now is SATA. IDE are dinosaur bones!
S Gilbert - I checked OWC. I always do. I have a 4 drive, a 2 drive and single drive enclosures from them. I can't see any IDE enclosures.

Amazon S3 is Amazon's cloud storage solution, part of their web services. Commander One is software designed to mount that cloud storage on your computer, likely as a helper to make the cloud storage more useful.
So, the post does not offer anything useful to help answer your questions, or to help with this thread.
-- Maybe the poster accidentally responded to the wrong thread...

Back