Leopard: Bizarre Safari Behavior

whitesaint

cocoa love
Hey yall,

Safari is acting really weird sometimes. I'm working on this website for my boss, and the background image looks completely different from what it's supposed to look like. The background shows up fine under Firefox, Camino, Opera, Netscape, etc. But under Safari it shows up purple all of a sudden:

http://www.cihequipment.com

It's supposed to show up blue. Under all of the other browsers I just mentioned, it displays properly.

Not only that, but a lot of simple javascript doesn't seem to work either. I never had this problem before with the old 2.x Safari. Am I writing bad code or is it just Safari?

Thanks in advance.

I think the problem stems from the embedded color profile in your jpg. If I open it in Photoshop and tell it to discard to the profile, it looks like it does in Firefox. If I tell Photoshop to use the profile (or convert it to the current profile), it looks like it does in Safari.

You should probably strip the profile altogether, although I'm sure someone will want to lynch me for saying that.....

Edit: I'm using the Safari 3 beta in Tiger. For me, the difference is fairly subtle (but definitely noticeable). Maybe it's not the same difference you're seeing, though.

Hey, thanks for the super-fast response. I did save the background image with the profile embedded, but it hasn't showed up weird on Safari until now. When I saved it, the profile embedded was straight up blue. Now, purple. Didn't Safari 2.x display embedded profiles too? But yeah, discarding the profile will help. Pretty obvious. What I don't get though is why it would show up purple all of a sudden. Thanks though I appreciate it.

But on to the javascript part. I have some of the simplest functions in the world. It checks the value of a text field, then displays if it is NULL or not in a span tag. Even something simple like this isn't showing up in Safari:

var name=document.getElementById("name").value
if(!name)
{

document.getElementById("result").innerHTML = "Please Enter text into all the fields."

}

I tried this in IE7, Netscape, Safari 2.x and it worked. Not working on Safari 3.0 though. The "innerText" function doesn't work either. I'm really confused with this.

Okay, so in Safari 3.x, the image background image is blue now, instead of purple. I didn't even quit Safari since I first posted it this thread. I swear nobody touched it either. :mad:

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly but I guess you removed the profile because it looks fine to me. Safari is the only browser that honours colour profiles. Firefox does not.

For what it's worth, that JavaScript snippet works just fine on my Safari 3 beta on Tiger. I just pasted it into a test page to see. Maybe Safari 3 on Leopard behaves differently, or maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

Back