Leopard can not "see" network printer attached to pc

Perishingflames

Registered
Hi,

I'm running Leopard and I have a printer attached to a Windows XP Pc, attached to a linksys wifi router.

I can currently connect to the computer itself (by typing in its ip, and the login credentials in Connect to Server window), but for some reason I cannot find the printer when adding a new printer in system prefs. I go to the Windows pane, and I can see the workgroup (I used a fix where I made a new location and set up the airport there to use my window's workgroup and NETbios name in the Wins panel), but when I click on it, no printer shows up.

On the pc, I also have the printer to be set to a shared printer over the network.

Thanks for helping.

Hello again Delta,

That may very well be a possibility, but the only weird thing is that I used to be able to print to it, but it suddenly stopped working. I think I may have touched a firewall setting on the pc...

Help appreciated.

Read guides on the internet. The are ones like this older article How to Use a Printer Attached to a Windows XP Computer in Mac OS X. Then there is the one in MacOSX.com called HOWTO have a possible Win Share access that might help.

Now as long time user you know printer manufactures have different OS X drivers for local connected printers then they do you network printers. Did you check with the manufacture to see if they have a NETWORK OS X driver for that printer?

Are you on a home network or going through a Microsoft server setups? Do you ever read MacWindows.com? How are you connecting to the PC, samba or another way? Have you setup the Microsoft server settings in system Preferences->Network Pane->Advance button->WINS tab? Have you also setup the server settings in /Applications/Utilities/Director Utility?

Lastly do see any of the Microsoft shared folders?

Last edited:
Oh, and how do I access the leopard help files?

Have you not used help files on a Mac before?
You access the help files from the help menu... :D You will go directly to help files that should be related to what you are doing at the moment, or it will allow you to browse to virtually any help file in your system.

Back