Leopard won't encrypt disk images

Harp

Raised by wolves
I made a smaller post of this here:
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...bugs-compatibility-reports-4.html#post1421180

I just got 10.5 and I've been subsequently testing it in my own way (much as the raptors tested the fence in jurassic park) and I've had a problem getting my disk images to encrypt.

I go into disk utility and create a new image. I name it and tell it to encrypt (either 128 or 256 - same result) then I traditionally choose a large size and make it sparse (although I get the same results basically however I set it up.)

Then I create the image and give it a password.
The image is mounted on my desktop. I eject it.

Then, whenever I go to remount it, it never asks me for a password.

God knows what I am doing wrong. Could this be possibly another bug in the disk utility, alongside the now infamous repair permissions? If I'm an idiot, someone please let me know.

Thanks.

Have you tested it with another account or computer? I don't mean the creation, but mounting it. Create a secondary account on the computer and try to mount a disk image you've encrypted in the first account. Maybe it just automatically saves the pw to the keychain (which it shouldn't unless you say so...).

Most likely your problem is that you left the checkbox checked to store the password in the keychain. Be sure to uncheck that box wen creating disk images otherwise you will end up with the same problem. I created a detailed video tutorial on my blog that you can check out on how to properly create these disk images and use them.
-Ken

Back