Linksys WRT54G & Powermac G5

bmwmcrzy

Registered
I purchased A wrt54g yesterday and my dual 1.8 powermac g5 doesn't not get an IP address assigned. My dell laptop connected just fine. I've done the firmware update, restarted the router & my g5 numerous times, attempted to manually assign the IP, netmask and gateway with no luck. My g5 will connect to my old dlink router just fine.

Any ideas?

Are you connected wireless or wired on the mac. If wireless, try connecting wired..does it connect? If so re-check your network settings. Also If you are trying to connect wireless make sure your using proper encryption schemes wep vs wpa. Last, you should probably just pull your "NetworkInterfaces.plist" and your "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" preferences from your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. This will wipe out all your network settings to default. --Good luck.

Also, make sure that you have the DHCP service enabled on the Linksys if you haven't done so. Remember to include the DNS nameservers in there as well so that the Mac gets that information as well through DHCP.

Make sure to set up two "Locations" in the apple menu specifically for your new router. Activate Wireless in one and Ethernet in the other. Activate DHCP in both.

Make sure your wireless broadcast is in B and G (if your laptop has Airport card, not Airport Express card, you'll only receive B signals) and that you have at least WEP password activated.

Back