Lion Finder sidebar links keep not working

bunner bob

Registered
This is driving me crazy. My sidebar links to various locations on our office server keep not working - they just reload the current finder window. Links to the local machine do work. After a restart the remote links work again - but eventually, at some point, for some reason, they stop working again.

I live by my sidebar. Surprised not to find more references to this issue in searches.

Any thoughts? Should I just get some third party tool?

When the links don't work, is it possible that the networked drive they reference has been unmounted?

If so, are you expecting that when you click a link to a network location, AND that location has been unmounted from the machine, that OS X will automatically re-mount that network location?

The links always mount my networked drive if it's unmounted. And/but, in this case, the drive IS already mounted. I can get to it by going to its icon in the sidebar and clicking my way in. But once the sidebar links die they just stay dead, even if I dismount/remount the server. Only a restart fixes it. That plus the fact that I can navigate to the folders suggests a Finder bug, which probably means I'm stuck with it until Apple fixes it. Unless there is some prefs file I should try deleting...

What is also interesting - aliases to the networked drive continue to work, including aliases I put in Finder window toolbars. It's just the sidebar links that don't work.

I am using Sharepoints on my Tiger "server" (not really a server but using it as such). At least some of the affected links are managed by Sharepoints. Wonder if there is a connection.

Another drive on the same server continues to be accessible from the sidebar even when the problematic one is not.

I originally installed Sharepoints on this machine to be able to manage several people's access to different folders on the machine. Perhaps there is a different tool that would work with Tiger, or perhaps I just need to get rid of it and do plain old file sharing. Or perhaps it's time to buy a Mac Mini server...

I'm very happy to know that I am not the only one with this problem!

Ever since I upgraded to Lion a couple of weeks ago this has been a very persistent any annoying problem. With Snow Leopard I had no issues like this at all.

The problem is the same - the drives are mounted, but when I click any of the folders in the sidebar within Finder, nothing happens. I have to manually navigate through to the folder starting from the mounted drive in the sidebar.

Oddly enough, I have put some of the same folders down into the dock and I *can* access the folders there without a problem.

Nevertheless, the sidebar is really much more efficient and I want to be able to use it again.

Can anyone help?!

Perhaps we have to create our own "sidebar", as a folder full of aliases organized like we would organize our sidebar. Ahh the joys of a new OS...

Back