loose 17" powerbook hinge/display

quiksan

awesomer...
does anyone else have a 17" powerbook where the hinge is loose enough that the screen falls shut if it's tilted forward too much? It's just seemed loose ever since I got it (the 1st day the 17 inchers were in the stores).
I always just wrote it off to the screen being large and heavy, but I don't know. My father in law's 15" pb display is tight as can be (actually squeeks sometimes it's so tight) and my wife's 12" pb is just fine too.

so has anyone else dealt with this? have you fixed it? taken it to apple and had them fix it?

I've got applecare, so I might see about having that done when they replace the screen for the bright spots issue, but wanted to know if I'm the only one dealing with this...?

thx

thanks - I'll check it out.
It's just one of those things I've been so used to.

i either search the forums, or google, but tend to forget doing both...
so thanks for the link

quiksan said:
does anyone else have a 17" powerbook where the hinge is loose enough that the screen falls shut if it's tilted forward too much? It's just seemed loose ever since I got it (the 1st day the 17 inchers were in the stores).
I always just wrote it off to the screen being large and heavy, but I don't know. My father in law's 15" pb display is tight as can be (actually squeeks sometimes it's so tight) and my wife's 12" pb is just fine too.

so has anyone else dealt with this? have you fixed it? taken it to apple and had them fix it?

I've got applecare, so I might see about having that done when they replace the screen for the bright spots issue, but wanted to know if I'm the only one dealing with this...?

thx

First all, if you still have AppleCare then use it! Now, if it was loose because of the screws holding it on (if it doesn't have AppleCare) then consider getting this.

hey satcomer - yeah, I've still got AC on it. I was just wondering if it was something that was pretty common more than anything.

I actually read someone's blog abuot that radtech product you linked. they said it was awful - about the most useless money they'd spent. I don't know from personal experience, but sounds iffy. and since I'll have apple care handle it, doesn't really matter.

thanks for the replies

Back