M$ Wants to buy Google No Jokes...

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
Microsoft Says to Take Aim at Google
Wed April 2, 2003 04:01 PM ET
PALO ALTO, Calif. (Reuters)

Source: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=2497128

- Microsoft Corp. MSFT.O , the world's No. 1 software maker, on Wednesday said it is taking aim at privately held Google Inc., the Web-search company that's so popular its name is used as a verb.

"We do view Google more and more as a competitor. We believe that we can provide consumers with a better product and a better user experience. That's something that we're actively looking at doing," Bob Visse, director of marketing for Microsoft's MSN Internet services division, said.

Visse said the company was making some significant investments in developing a better search engine. But the company has not offered specific plans.

Microsoft would not be the first Web portal provider to step into the Web search segment. Last month, Internet media company Yahoo Inc. YHOO.O closed its $235 million purchase of Internet-search company Inktomi Corp.
Microsoft has said its been searching for ways to capitalize on its various technologies, for example data retrieval and analysis, by entering new markets. It has also targeted security software.

Google, the No. 1 Web-search provider, has become so pervasive that it is not uncommon for people to refer to searching the Internet as "googling."

A Google representative could not be immediately reached for comment.

Google has been seen as a top IPO candidate despite a lagging economy, but a company co-founder recently told attendees at a high-tech conference that going public is not on the front burner for the Silicon Valley company.

MICROSOFT wants to buy everything! Bill Gates is too rich, he can buy brazil probably.

Originally posted by Androo
MICROSOFT wants to buy everything! Bill Gates is too rich, he can buy brazil probably.

I can't disagree... but this is a rumor and such and has backing to it... Reuters... etc... so I wonder what everyone else thinks too...

lets see... Microsoft does NOT want to buy Google. They want to create a search engine to rival it. Seems to me some people can't read. Change the title of this thread.

Yeah, but whenever someone has a product that rivals one of microsofts, or one that they think is popular, they used (80's) to try to copy it. Now (Mid 90's - present) they just buy the company or the rights to the software. Case in point: Attempted purchase of netscape communications mid-90's, pre IE. recently: VPC. next: half the internet services around. All will, like hotmail, be broken, converted to IIS (bringing them down continuously until the *nix servers are re-implemented. everything will be linked to .net, which will be one giant ad-campaign/pop-up network.

Originally posted by Pengu
...everything will be linked to .net, which will be one giant ad-campaign/pop-up network.
I knew I should not have clicked that "Always Trust Micro$oft" button!:eek:

;)

Google's motto: "Don't be evil."
Microsoft's motto: "Unless there's a profit to be made."

i.e. I don't want Google to change owners.

Originally posted by fryke
Google's motto: "Don't be evil."
Microsoft's motto: "Unless there's a profit to be made."

i.e. I don't want Google to change owners.

true.

I don't see where you read plans of they being bought out. It says *NOTHING* about *ANY* interest to purchase them.

All I read in this is :

Microsoft sees google as competition for msn.com being the world's #1 portal site.

Period, end of story. That's all they say in this article.

I'm not particulry defending microsoft but it's a sad state when you read an article about a company and read it for what it is instead you read it for what you want to read...

"US Air Force plane flys over canada on way home"

"US WANTS TO BLOW UP CANADA! THEY WANT TO BLOW UP EVERYTHING!"

Yes this is about the same thing..

ms does not want to nor will it buy google.
It wants to make a better one.
Hey, if MS makes a better search engine than google, i'm all for it..

Originally posted by nickn

"US Air Force plane flys over canada on way home"

"US WANTS TO BLOW UP CANADA! THEY WANT TO BLOW UP EVERYTHING!"

Yes this is about the same thing..

yea very good point

p.s. we do want to blow up cananda :D

I think that people speculating that ol' billy might want to acquire Google, is because while they want a better search engine, and say they can do it, we all know what a buch of BS, MS is. While I doubt Google will sell out, that doesnt mean MS doesn't want to buy yet another rising product to call it's own.

Originally posted by kanecorp
Hey, if MS makes a better search engine than google, i'm all for it..
MS doesn't make a better anything. They copy a product and make it 80% as good, then market the hell out of it and coerce their customers to buy and accept it. Or they give it away until their competition is dead, then they sell it.

For example, I spoke with an IT guy from a major HMO company. He set up a Linux mail server about five years ago. His M$ mail server constantly crashed. The Linux one never crashed; the only time it ever stopped operating was when they brought it down to upgrade the hardware! But his company eventually forced him to switch to a Microsoft mail server. Why? Because their contract with M$ required that they use M$ products in every instance that an M$ product existed.

Google is an excellent product that's constantly improved. I'll be PISSED if M$ muscles them out of business, and then all we can use is a search engine that would never display an article like this, or one that always gives priority to pro-MS nonsense, is full of advertising, etc.

These days I am becoming fed up with Google and ready to move onto the next thing. I am not happy with Google's attempts at making payola behind the scenes. For instance with news.google.com, Google has been allowing companies such as Sun to post press releases as news. Also, Google is having some serious problems with it's software right now.

Nothing would kill Google better than Microsoft buying it.

I fondly remember the days when Hotmail came out. It worked fast and it was nice to use. Then Microsoft bought them. Microsoft started converting the stable Hotmail servers to NT. Out went the speed and stability of the service.

Google's search engine farm is 10,000 plain old computer boxes in a cluster. No fancy servers, just plain old boxes connected together. When one box fails, another takes it's place. Google doesn't even remove the server from the cluster. It's not worth the labor.

Microsoft would wade in and replace all of the boxes with Itanium servers running Windows 64-bit. Buh bye stabilty, buh bye ad-free (except the text sponsored links), buh bye speed. Hello new competitior.

Besides, there is always the cool new server search Web site. First it was Yahoo!, then it was Alta Vista, then it was Excite. Now we have been on Google for a while and I am sure something better, faster, smarter will come along.

I have to admit that I like saying this...

But I work for one of the few companies that has been approached by Microsoft to buy it and lived to tell about it...

In our case MS was serious, but the good ol' Justice Department said "no"... so we were not bought and continue to be a SUCCESSFULL thorn in the side of MSFT every day.

:D

Back