m4p restrictions

Ok here's another question. Let's say I take a CD I bought and encode it to AAC in iTunes. I want to send a track to a friend to hear, will he be able to play it with out my username and password?? In other words, are the AAC files that are encoded copy-protected like the ones bought from the iTMS?? This is all hypothetical, I'm just wondering if AACs have the potential to become the next MP3s.
-Doofy

The files you download from the iTMS are slightly different than the ones you rip from CD, MP3, or other audio sources, meaning you will have no restrictions on those you rip yourself.

meaning you will have no restrictions on those you rip yourself.
Well, to be 100% accurate, you have no restrictions on those you rip yourself BUT you do have to change a playlist after 10 burns for iTMS copy.
However, the easiest way to avoid all of this hassle is buy an iPod, keep all of the music on there, have your iTunes on manual sync, then play stuff off the iPod when it's connected to your Mac.

Though I would also recommend burning a copy of, or copying, all of the music on an iPod (I keep mine on my external hard drive) in case the iPod is lost, stolen or damaged.

Just to make this clear also: If you only have AACs you've ripped yourself, you don't have to change playlists after burning them 10 times. The AACs you rip yourself are free of ANY such restrictions. Hence the different file format names m4p and m4a. Yours are 'free', just like MP3s.

Back