Mac-Attack, What a Drag!

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
Ok, what the H*ll is going on here. I just did a SW update for QT, iCal and iTunes. Now, NONE of my aliases will budge a centemeter. It's like they Frozen in concrete. Console reports the following:

WindowServer[179]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x6e03 for over 1.000000 seconds

Should I suspect iCal? Before I ran fsck (which did nothing to fix this latest problem), the iCal alias was a generic A applescript alias. Now, after fsck, it appears as a generic blue folder. It still opens, either way.

So I tried JCC (which did't fix my drag problem), and now most of my aliases and icons have been reduced to generic folders, and my appls have lost their mappings.

Questions:
How do I restore my aliases and icons?
How do I restore the associations between my apps and their files?
How do I get back the ability to drag (the headcahe that stared it all)?
And, is it possible to reinstall the system without losing all my settings and prefs?

I will personally cannonize those who comes to my rescue. :)

well, i can tell you how to get your icons back i think.

open process viewer in your utilities folder. scrowl down until you see 'finder' and double click on it. choose 'force quit' from the option buttons. when it comes back up your icons should be back in their proper state. i suppose it's possible this might help with some other of yur issues, but i don't know for sure.

Quit and restarted finder -> no go.
fsck Insists everything is honky-dorey.
Ran Disk First Aid from OS X (10.03) -> no go.
Ran Disk First Aid from from the powerbook software install disk (os 9.1) -> no go, although it found and fixed Way more things than the useless os x First Aid.
Nothing has changed anything. It Really sucks that the os x disks don't allow a reinstall without having to wipe out the drive and starting over (like pre-os x).
And now I can't find my 10.2 disk. :(
Tell me again why I paid $129.00 for 10.2 again?

Are you now running with 10.2 or later? if yes, then run permissions repair from your Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utility folder), before 10.2, there was no GUI to run permissions repair, Apple had a separate repair permissions utility, which I think you can still download, but it's built into disk utility after 10.2, then remove the Cache files (they're all in Cache folders either in main Library, or your user Library folder) If System won't allow you to remove cache files, There's a utitlity you can download, called Maintain, that includes a lot of 'maintain'ing scripts to run. All are available to you now from the terminal, but this software has most that anyone may need to easily take care of a lot of little problems. Good luck finding your 10.2 install CD (You may still need it)

Once the freak cloud evaporated (running 20 miles will do that), I found my 10.2 disk and did a archieve and install (after fixing the privledges) which seemed to work.

How did the fixing privs help?

That corrects problems with permissions, (who can do what). And re-installing 10.2 also optimized the system, which resets the links between apps and associated files (and other things as well) the result, everything mostly starts working again. Oh, you should again do permissions repair after major installs. Doing that before reinstalling was probably a waste of time. :)

Back