.Mac disk storage increased to 250MB

cockneygeezer

Registered
I did a search, but I didn't find anything, so I must be the first.

.Mac storage has been increased to 250MB. Excellent. Shame it wasn't 500MB. :(

PS. If this has been posted MODS, please delete

.Mac storage has been increased to 250MB

iDisk storage is 125MB, not 250MB.

ONLINE SERVICES
.Mac Mail:
First-class email service —
125 MB of storage and no ads

HomePage:
Everything you need to publish a website in minutes

iDisk:
Your hard drive on the Internet —
125 MB to store, publish, and share your files

Well, there hasn't been a thread started on it, but it's been mentioned in another thread earlier this morning.

http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46617

Someone in another forum claims to be able to adjust the distribution of the 250MB between iDisk and .Mac mail via a drop-down menu, but I can't find any such functionality anywhere -- and if this were true, I don't think Apple would hide it like this.

u can change the space of ur idisk and email according to ur needs. any1 know how to do that ?

"Mac Mail now comes with a default 125 MB of email storage so you can keep more of your messages available for easy online access. Need even more storage for mail? Configure your account's 250 MB of combined storage to best fit the way you use your .Mac account."
from http://www.mac.com/1/mailnewfeatures.html

Ricky said:
Seems like too little, too late if you ask me.

I agree 100%.

GMail:
- 1000 MB e-mail storage.
- Cost: $0
- Maximum message size: 10MB

Hotmail:
- 2000 MB e-mail storage
- Cost: $20/year
- Maximum message size: 20MB

MacOSX Mail & Web:
- 1000 MB e-mail storage
- 500 MB web space
- Cost: $30/year
- Maximum message size: Unlimited

Apple .Mac Mail & Web:
- 250 MB e-mail storage (minus whatever is used for web space)
- web space: whatever is left after e-mail storage
- Cost: $100/year
- Maximum message size: 10 MB

For the large number of people that just want e-mail & maybe some web space, how does Apple think it can compete? By making it hard for anything else to work with their system?

jeb i think spymac offers even better features, for no price or for a small amount, u get to choose..

and they also have great packages on hosting....

it just seems weird to me that apple offers so little storage for such an amount whereas the others offer much more space almost (or for) free..
is it something were missing ?

its thanx to the ease of use and nice syncing feature that keep me with .mac !

soulseek said:
u can change the space of ur idisk and email according to ur needs. any1 know how to do that ?

1. goto www.mac.com
2. Login
3. On the right are options, choose Account
4. One of the buttons is "Storage Settings"
5. Pull down menu is used to configure ratio

Hopr it help

Have 235MB iDisk, about time... :D

cockneygeezer said:
3. On the right are options, choose Account

I searched and searched FOREVER on the right and couldn't find it! Finally, I checked on the left, and sure enough it was there... ;)

200MB iDisk, 50MB email. SWEET!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I searched and searched FOREVER on the right and couldn't find it! Finally, I checked on the left, and sure enough it was there... ;)

200MB iDisk, 50MB email. SWEET!

Oppss... What a faux pas!

I did mean left, sorry about that, how thick do I feel/appear?

I have just found out that I have to recreate a local iDisk to reflect the new size.

I live in the UK and the connection speed between me and the .Mac servers ain't the fastest connection that I have experienced, and I am on ADSL.

It's a shame that there wasn't a better way.

Sorry for all the confusion given.

cockneygeezer said:
I have just found out that I have to recreate a local iDisk to reflect the new size. WTF?

Yeah, I would assume this is because your local iDisk is just a disk image, and since it's not easy (or even feasible) to re-size a disk image, you probably have to re-create it by recreating the local copy.

The increase (which isn't confirmed on their website yet) is definitely a good thing, but like has been said, not nearly enough.

It sounds like .Mac storage is far less laughable, though I have to wonder - why is Apple having such a hard time providing reasonably competitive service with such a premium price?

There is a bit of bundling of services, but most of the "extras" are write-offs - Virex protection (to protect from...the one virus out there?), "iCards", extra support (some tutorial documents? Come on), calendar synchronization (which would actually be useful to me). Also on their benefits page are iChat?... Not a bad package if well managed/integrated, but for maybe $40 a year, especially considering the downtime and the low amount of storage made available.

How many people are buying .Mac?? For Apple not to have "gotten it" yet I'm assuming there are a lot of people still buying it?

Since I had recently upped my storage by another 100 MB I got a message telling me that I now have 1.25 GB!

Now I feel bad about the somewhat trite email I wrote.

?

"Upped your storage by another 100MB"? Can you "upgrade" .Mac storage? Why would that bring you to 1.25GB?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Are you missing something? It's the first thing listed on http://www.mac.com!

Sorry, I was looking at the ".Mac" section of the Apple store. It still says 15MB IMAP storage, and 100MB iDisk.

Ripcord said:
?

"Upped your storage by another 100MB"? Can you "upgrade" .Mac storage? Why would that bring you to 1.25GB?

They did the same thing for me, I upgraded to 200 MB of storage, only 2 days ago, and I got this e-mail today:

Dear .Mac Member,

We're excited to announce that every full .Mac membership now comes with 250 MB of combined .Mac Mail and iDisk storage. We want to say thank you for your past purchase of additional storage by immediately increasing your total storage to 1.2 GB for the duration of your current membership.

If you haven't tried them yet, be sure to check out three additional enhancements recently added to .Mac Mail. There's a new online spell checker with a customizable dictionary available when you use your .Mac Mail account through a browser. You can now use aliases as email addresses either for fun or as protection when you need to provide an email address but aren't entirely comfortable with the requester. If your concerns turn out to be justified, you can then simply remove the alias and create a new one the next time you face a similar situation. And, in another move designed to make life easier as traffic grows heavier and files grow larger, we've increased the maximum email message size to 10 MB.

mightyjlr said:
They did the same thing for me, I upgraded to 200 MB of storage, only 2 days ago, and I got this e-mail today:

Got the same email.

Yes you can up your storage. There is a buy more button on the .Mac Preference Pane and in the online account page. I had added an additional 100 MB and since they have now done the same for everyone they gave me the 1.2 GB as a "thanks for buying more space before we made it free anyway" gesture... and so people woldn't sue them which seems to happen all to often lately.

Back