Mac Hardware supports Windows XP

Well, I certainly wont need a new Mac that can run Windows because I already have one. It's a 6100/66 with a DOS card in it that came directly from Apple ... it would seem that they tried the whole Windows thing before that it didnt work. So it's doubtful they'll do that again. Anyone want a DOS Card? heh

jstn

Originally posted by TommyWillB

Couldn't Apple write some sort of harware abstraction layer that makes the PowerPC chip pretend to be an Intel one.
Originally posted by chevy

That's the Transmeta principle. The user, and even the programmer, doesn't know which chip is implemented, it relies on a standardized low-level interface. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Software is more flexible, and the current CPU are all more than enough powerful to do any useful tasks.
Right, Transmeta... That was the "Caruso" chip I mentioned, right?

Don't forget the chip only needs to worry about doing the emulation of an Intel processor, since Apple can make the rest of the motherboard components to match PC/WinDoze specs... That means there would be less emulation in hardware than VM that VirtualPC is dealing with in software.

In the case of emulation or virtual machines the painful thing is speed, and hardware is always faster than software. (At least that's my understandng...)

Please explain why you think software is better?

Back