Mac Mail and GMail, 2 computer confusion

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
I have a gmail account and I've been using Mac Mail on my first computer for a year without problems. Today I bought a second Mac and configured Mail and the new computer will not download, or otherwise let me see, messages that I have already read. Furthermore, if one computer downloads a new message, the other computer will not download it. Both machines are running OS 10.5.7.

Is there anyway I can keep both accounts in sync, or is this a limitation of POP mail?

That's a limitation of POP. When a mail message is downloaded with POP, it is downloaded to the computer and removed from the mail server. There are kludgy ways around it (such as the Mail preference of "Keep a copy of the message on the server") but they're kludgy and don't offer the flexibility of IMAP.

GMail offers IMAP access in addition to POP, and using IMAP would allow you to keep two computers in "sync" with your GMail account.

I have a mac pro and a macbook pro, and I use gmail and google notifier to notify me about incoming mail, and clicking on that open gmail in your browser. which is great for my use.

Back