Mac Mini is almost interesting

adambyte said:
Oh, c'mon, what, like a... uh.... Buddhist or whatever that means, can't have a sense of humor? I thought it was just purely humorous, not insulting or malicious.

if anything, slightly gross. But kinda funny.

thanks :) people think buddhist = boring person that isn't allowed to laugh or joke. for the record a buddhist is allowed to laugh, joke and even get man from time to time. its called being human. :)

Randman said:
I don't remember you saying anything particularly memorable or enlightening. I guess that's just the way it is, eh?

I never claimed to have said anything enlightening.. what is is with people and not understanding plain english?

*sticks head in sand*

Ah, see you made an assumption. You said you tell it like it is. My response was that your "telling it like it is" doesn't seem to memorable and/or enlightening.

So, if you're wondering about people and understanding plain English, look in the mirror once you pull your head out ... of the sand.

Randman said:
Ah, see you made an assumption. You said you tell it like it is. My response was that your "telling it like it is" doesn't seem to memorable and/or enlightening.

So, if you're wondering about people and understanding plain English, look in the mirror once you pull your head out ... of the sand.

wow.. its not supposed to be memorable nor enlightening. the guy was talking like he was living in bizarro world. dual gigabit ethernet on the lowest mac available?

I simply said to stop talking crap.. the end. not enlightening. not memorable.

get it?

Oh, I get it. Didn't you see my post?

You seem to have trouble realising when people are taking the piss with you though. ::ha::

Also, don't chide people about English when your own leaves much to be desired. ::angel::

are you done bothering me now? also, telling someone not to take shots at another while making one of your own really makes your point weak. even I a person with such bad english skills knows that! :)

Believe it or not, CD's do still get stuck.

My mac mini just swallowed a dvd.

I just got a brand new mac mini with combo/dvd drive. The first DVD i put in there (logic pro 7, made by apple), was swallowed by the drive and is now stuck.

There is no button for manual eject. I am stuck here with a $1000 cd in my mac mini that I'm gonna send back to apple, with the cd in there. I might just have a lemon and others are fine, but there is a threshold for user-helplessness' that apple created long ago with non-penetrable products, and they have epitomized this with the mini.

There's really no way to get this thing out with tweezers unless i take the shell off, (voiding the warranty?
).

Anyway Its a nice package, but if problems like this are common, or just in the future you run into small mechanical malfunctions, it's quite a hassle/expense for both apple and consumers. But i guess thats part of the deal...

Mephisto said:
You can open most tray loading drives with a paper clip. CDs getting stuck are not common anymore, you might as well worry about getting struck by a meteor. As the drive gets old (5-6 years) the loader may fail, but if that happens you will need to replace the drive anyway.

Believe it or not, CD's do still get stuck.

My mac mini just swallowed a dvd.

I just got a brand new mac mini with combo/dvd drive. The first DVD i put in there (logic pro 7, made by apple), was swallowed by the drive and is now stuck.

There is no button for manual eject. I am stuck here with a $1000 cd in my mac mini that I'm gonna send back to apple, with the cd in there. I might just have a lemon and others are fine, but there is a threshold for user-helplessness' that apple created long ago with non-penetrable products, and they have epitomized this with the mini.

There's really no way to get this thing out with tweezers unless i take the shell off, (voiding the warranty?
).

Anyway Its a nice package, but if problems like this are common, or just in the future you run into small mechanical malfunctions, it's quite a hassle/expense for both apple and consumers. But i guess thats part of the deal...

Im most stumped by the need for dual gigabit ethernet. this is standard on ONE type of computer. servers. just because some people USE mini's as servers, doesn't mean they're intended that way.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
No offence, but who buys a mini to run Logic Pro 7?

I don't know, cuz I got both for free.

However, with a 1.42Ghz mac mini and 1gig of cheap ram, thats more powerful than most single processor G4's
(including yours) and powerbooks out there. And if you're running a firewire I/O and save most of the heavy processing for 'post-production', you don't really need pci slots.

We've only had it set up for three days but the mac mini seems to be fine to me, although it is the first mac i've used.

The mac mini > IS < almost interesting.

But remember - mac savvy people who visit sites such as this one are not really the intended target market.

And therefore, suggestions such as "dual gigabit ethernet" are totally irrelevant.

Sure, we all marvel at its price, features, and size. But serious mac users know they want something with a little more room to grow. The irony here is that generally people don't take full advantage of the expandability of the mac towers they buy anyway... ("don't box me in" syndrome).

So there you have it. The mac mini. And unless you have a G5 - it's no-doubt better than your mac in more ways then one.

...And what interests me, is how people are seriously contemplating the mac mini and finding ways around the limited expandablity - like attaching external firewire hard-drives... etc.

It really does make you think, heh...

Back