Mac OS X and BeOS similarities?

gerbick

poptart villain
you know... sitting here with my lil' iBook and my dual g4, I find myself doing the same thing I used to do with my BeOS machine... looking for any and all small application to bid the time until I can get the bigger apps that I really want.

Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Director, Flash.

I waited forever for some good apps on BeOS, and I seem to be doing the same right now with Mac OS X.

What do I have? GiMP... ok, Illustrator, Freehand, Auto-Illustrator, Blender, SwFX, and Moho...but no plugins for Illustrator :(

my problem? I'm tired of the home-brewed apps - wait, lemme rephrase that. I LOVE the home-brewed apps, but where are the mainstream apps? heck, where's the Shockwave3D plugin? where's the Flash apps, quick 3D apps - gawd how I loved sPatch 1.51 on the PC - and other things.

I'm committed to sticking with OS X - I don't play well with OS 9.x - but... I'm tired of waiting.

I can't be the only one :(

I am annoyed at this too. However, I don't use many of the bigwig applications, so I am just about Classic free, except for Outlook Express which does my SSL mail, and ResEdit, a Classic application that has absolutely NO substitute (unless somebody wants to suggest something... oh, and NOT Resorcerer, because that totally sucks).

Don't worry, OS X native applications will continue to stream in, and I'm sure by the end of 2002 almost everybody will be Classic free. It takes time for developers to port their applications -- they can't do it in the blink of an eye. And just like OS X itself took so long to make and is so much of a change, the same applies for OS X native applications.

So just hang tight -- those applications will come soon enough.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=421&page=1

I found this article *EXTREMELY* interesting. Its a formal Be os user who has now converted to Mac OS X. He discusses advantages and disadvantages of both operating systems (although I found his GUI remarks rather low-blows). Its a good read, although long.

And don't worry, Mac OS X will catch on much more than be ever did. If it isn't out for mac os x yet, don't worry because it will be.

Back