Mac OS X compatibility with windows apps

krayzie32

Registered
I've been looking around for new computers and the i-mac jumped out and caught my eye. But I was wandering if I can run Windows applications (i.e the game Hitman:Codename 47 for Windows or other Windows 98/2000 games and apps) on the i-Mac with Mac OS X. thanx

Your comparing two very different platforms... mush like a Nintendo and a Playstation2. Mac have there own set of applications... However a Mac it can access PC documents with the help of Virtual PC.. but don't expect to play your latest PC game through it.

the iMac is a consummer, non professional PowerMac.
Since most home users won't need access to additional cards for say D1 encoding, BetaCam editing ect.

Apple have designed the system to be very appearling they put in a super fast 64bit CPU, given you the state of the art TFT screen and a hold host of other features... such as Fireware... ok so no USB2, but Firewire is tons faster.

Hope this helps.

LAdesign

Originally posted by LAdesign
Apple have designed the system to be very appearling they put in a super fast 64bit CPU, given you the state of the art TFT screen and a hold host of other features... such as Fireware... ok so no USB2, but Firewire is tons faster.

Just wanted to point out that the G4 is NOT a 64bit CPU... It has 128bit vector processing units (Altivec), but the chip itself is 32bit. Programs have to be specially written to take advantage of Altivec, and only certain processes can take advantage of Altivec.

The iMac is an excellent consumer machine, however it will not run Windows programs out of the box. You can use Virtual PC (a PC emulator) to run Windows programs. I have heard many people have had good success using it to run Windows applications, but it would not be good for running games. I don't think VPC support graphic acceleration - and even if it did, I would think the support is somewhat limited.

Please do keep in mind though that many games do get ported to Macs. However, the PC is still the best platform for games right now.

-B

Back