Mac OS9 on Al 1.25 15" PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by owaters, Aug 25, 2004.

1. owaters

owaters Registered

Web Developer and Designer
    I have just spoken to Apple on the phone and they have told me that my PowerBook is incapable of running Mac OS9!!!!!! Well, they have said it won't boot from a Mac OS9 CD therefore it cannot be installed.

There must be a work around for this? Anyone?

2. Zammy-Sam

Zammy-Sam Desertchild

PHD in bioinformatics
  3. owaters

owaters Registered

Hmmm, had a read through and doesn't seem to be much help. Thanks anyways though ;)

Does anyone else have any ideas?

4. fryke

fryke Moderator Staff Member Mod

IT Administrator
    No. Apple has made sure that you won't use OS 9 on that machine (and all other newer machines). It's not only that the firmware might have some settings that actively disable OS 9 from booting, it's also that OS 9 has not been updated in a while and just doesn't "know" your type of machine. You can't expect a three or four year old operating system to know anything about newer processors, graphics cards, motherboards etc. And even if you _could_ trick your PowerBook into booting the thing (OS 9), you'd still lack drivers for most of its hardware features. That wouldn't exactly make a 'working solution' in my opinion.

1.) Get used to using OS X.
    2.) Use old applications in Classic.
    3.) Replace older applications with newer versions that support OS X or with replacement software that does.

5. owaters

owaters Registered

Righto. I am completely used to OSX now, and I only wanted to run classic to play some old games which are not supported in OSX and don't run correctly in Classic. However, it looks like I may as well throw them up on eBay now. Ahh well. Thanks anyways :)

6. Randman

Randman HA! HA! HA!

What do you mean they don't work correctly in Classic? What games?

7. RacerX

RacerX Old Rhapsody User

Consultant
    That must have been an interesting phone call. :confused:

All Apple systems designed and released after January 2003 have been Mac OS X only systems. The only exception was the Dual G4/1.25 which was actually first released in August 2002 which Apple kept selling for a while.

New Apple hardware not working with old Apple operating systems is not a new thing. The only reason for having any over lap period with Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X was to give developers time to get Mac OS X native software out.

I would suggest trading your PowerBook with someone who has a PowerBook G4/1 Ghz (released November of 2002) that is in good condition if you really need Mac OS 9.

A new PowerBook is an expensive item to be buying without knowing what it is you are putting all that money down on.