MAC > PC jpg issues

mikeruss

Registered
Hi all - odd one.

When I receive a jpg (not a jpeg) from a mac via email it wont open in either outlook or picture viewer etc (win xp). But if the same image is sent to any other PC (from the ma user) it opens OK.

The added twist. If another pc user opens (which it does with no issues) then closes and sends back to the failing pc it opens with no issues!

Aaargggh - Any one have any ideas?

Is your PC set to open JPG images with the appropriate application? Perhaps when it's coming from another PC that has already opened it, the file type is set properly so that the failing PC "now"understands which program to launch.

All-in-all ... get a Mac!

If the Mac users are using Apple's Mail program, tell them to check "Send Windows-friendly attachments".

thanks for the reply chaps but I have tried both your ideas. Macworks - I have tried using Outlook, and Image viewr etc with no luck.

Mikaro - If the image is opened/viewd on any other PC it works with no issues. It's just this one. Plus If another pc user opens (which it does with no issues) then closes and sends back to the failing pc it opens with no issues.

Any other ideas?

PC - I am righting this on a MAC ;-)

I dont have the issue from this mac to a pc... ;-)

Are you using the same ISP or mail provider on the PC where this happens and on the ones where it doesn't happen?
Can you see all other jpg files without problems received on this PC?
Is your system in English? (on Mac OS X and PC side)
If you try to open the image in either, do you get a specific error message? (Eg in Event viewer) If you try to manually open the file 'with program...' is the result still the same?
For the files sent, are the extensions visible, ie is it "Image" or "Image.jpg" that you are trying to open?

Check the Properties of the jpg on your pc in question, make sure you open with PictureViewer or some other photo viewing application and select that app to open all jpgs.

If you have your PC set to auto update, and it updated to SP3, you'll have jpg incompatibility from Macs. The only workaround to that issue is to uninstall SP3 and revert to SP2.

Back