Mac pro through Imac

towerpower

Registered
This is probably a simple answer but I’m going to ask it anyway.
My mac pro 2.1 10.7.5 runs well with all the old apps I still use with the exception of browsing and email software where it’s light years out-of-date and is just not fit for purpose anymore.
My question is can I run it through a newer spec imac utilising the imac screen only whilst still retaining the imac running a much newer system or am I just being stupid?
Thanks

Even if you plan for the future right now the specs between the super expense Silicon Mac Pro or go with equal the Mac Studio Ultra beats it it video crunching, audio crunching and play games with the display of yourself that you can replace in couple of years! Just put in more then base RAN and get about 32 gig of internal RAM to be safe! Then get a pen and piece of paper and write down the share numbers to save to get the Universal or Pure Silicon version cheaper at checkout at many sites easily to get reduced pricing!

Plus look at the tread to see list of Universal or Pure Silicon: 10 most used Apps

I think you BOTH are off in left field somewhere!
The least computer intensive tasks are email and browsing. I'm surprised you picked those two to want more of.

That iMac is seriously deficient in RAM--2Gig is no where near enough.
Are you asking if you can use the iMac screen with the Mac pro? If you can plug the 2 together and if Lion has the ability, you should be able to mirror the Mac Pro on the iMac. I can't remember that long ago! :)

I will be buying a new imac, probably a 2012 or 13 so spec will be better for browsing and email
The least computer intensive tasks are email and browsing. I'm surprised you picked those two to want more of.
I just want them to function better and I could run Catalina on a later imac. Currently on my power mac running Lion Firefox Legacy (68.12) is the most current browser I can use and I now am getting multiple problems with images not displaying, links not working etc etc. So if I can run, if required, Lion from the mac pro through the imac then switch/reboot to potentially use Catalina for browsing. Same scenario with email software, its ancient and doesn’t display images etc (Entourage 2008). On the mac pro I use an old Quark (8) and Adobe CS5 suite which i am more than happy with.
Note: my current imac has been superseded it will be again soon

Last edited:
Back