Mac suddenly froze now I can't use it

joestas

Registered
Hi
I use a 2011 Macbook Pro (purchased November). I opened iTunes this morning and the desktop froze up. I couldn't shut down so had to hold the power key.

Since then my computer has become too unstable to use. Here's a few of the things I've noticed:

I can't use the keyboard.
Finder doesn't open on most occasions. Often it will open and close repeatedly every few seconds.
The top menu bar has just disappeared entirely.

I have tried repairing disk permissions with no luck.
I tried creating a backup using time machine so I could reinstall Lion but it tells me it will take 29 days to backup and seems to freeze after 12mb.

When I login as 'guest' on safe mode everything works fine. I set up a new user account and that has the same problems as my current one.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a hard drive on its way out.

Can you run the Apple Hardware Test that came with the computer in "extended" mode and report any errors that it spits out?

Thanks. I'll run it now and let you know. I can't type on that computer so if it's a big log (i've never ran one before), I'm not sure how I'll get it copied into this post.

have the apple store check it out its too new to have problems i sure hope this dont mean apples gone to $h!t on their computers as well as the OS X in general. Whateve the problem is it should be covered by warranty.

Try using Warrior 4 or Dara Rescue 3, sounds like your hard drive has become corrupt. It may still be repairable but,would suggest you back up everything before doing much else.

Back