Mac The Ripper -- only one side of a double-sided DVD

brainly

Registered
Hi,
I wanted to make a backup of a double-sided DVD using Mac The Ripper.
It ripped one side with no problem but refuses the other one.
It recognizes the presence of the DVD, seems to scan the DVD correctly and the Go! button is then ready to be pushed, but when pushed it flashes (in a tiny fraction of a second) the word Cancel that's in the same box and does nothing else. I've looked in the manual; I've tried restarting MTR; I've tried rebooting the computer; I've tried all that again on another computer. Nothing seems to make any difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Some DVDs cannot be ripped with that program due to advanced copy protection. It's possible that your double-sided DVD has a certain copy protection on one side and not on the other.

MTR is not a "rip all" DVD solution -- there are just some DVDs out there that it (and other programs) refuse to rip.

Just a thought, did you move or rename the file from the first side before attempting to rip the second side? It's possible that both sides of the DVD have the same volume name, so MTR thinks it's already ripped it and skips the process.

Mind you, it is true that some discs just don't rip, either because of copy protection or a minor fault or scratch.

Yes, that could possibly be the explanation -- both sides do indeed have the same name, although on the disc surfaces the name's written xxxxA and xxxxB. What I did was to try the whole thing on a different Mac so that neither the computer nor its copy of MacTheRipper "knew" what I'd done previously. Sneaky, huh? However that didn't work either. In the end I found another applic (Fairmount, if anybody's interested) that I'd never even heard of and it did exactly what I wanted without any fuss of any sort. All's well that burns well, as the Bard would have said if he'd had a Mac.

Why didn't I use iSkysoft DVD Copy for Mac?
Well..... 'cos I'd never heard of it!
Now that I know I'll give it a try -- many thanks for the suggestion.

So is this becoming the usual spam-fest that always happens when talk's about DVD ripping? There are quite a few free DVD ripping solutions, there's no need to pay money for them. yasaki: If you had read the thread, you'd know that's what originally didn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but..... look at the beginning of this thread and you'll see that it was because of MacTheRipper that I first wrote! And also that, I later found a solution.

Back