MacAddict... ?

Nummi

happy (again)
Have any of you been to the MacAddict website? When someone says Macintosh... usually design is the first thing that enters people's minds. MacAddict website.... yuck. Nasty colors. Who the heck picked those colors. I.... just.... don't... understand how you could pick that ugly green color. My little sister could make a better layout for a site.
MacAddict should heave a re-design contest... person that makes best re-design of their site wins a top-o-the line G4.

"They're dedicated to their ugly lil design unfortunately"

I know... and most of the layouts in their magazine a kinda crappy too. Like a child made them. Why don'y they hire me? I am only a junior in high school and I can make a better design.

Yes, MacAddict needs a website facelift. Look at their graphics in the OS X sections! All pixelated and blurry. Yes, as you say Nummi, their color selection is awefull. They make such a good magazine (I am a subscriber) you would think they could do better on their own website.

Hey Nummi, email MacAddict. Tell them that you think "their site could be done better" (don't say "hey dudes, you have an ugly site and I want to design it" :rolleyes: ) then list a few things you noticed could be done better. Let them know that you could do it and give them samples of your work. Hey, its worth a try, the worst they could say is "no thanks" The most important thing is be courteous, kind and very professional. Don't give them a price quote in your first contact but in the second or third after you have them hooked (the same as you don't yank on your fishing rod until the fish bites if you know what I mean)

Give it your best shot and my congrats if you get the job!

Albert

" then list a few things you noticed could be done better."

I did that a long time ago.... no reply. And they have put ppl's letters in the the "letters" section of the mag, talking about the web site. they said they are sticking with it.

If they realy did ask me to re-design their site... I would do it pro bono. I will do any "Mac" site for free.

Just recently in one of their magazines (or on their site - can't remember which) they had it as a FAQ question that "No you cannot redesign our site". A lot of people must ask. So as I've said, they're dedicated to their nasty design.

Those guys are just a bunch of Zany wanna bees... One day that weak attempt to capture the Mac communities view will fold and we wil be all reading Mac Home Magazine.. which is actually beter designed and more engaging.

I don't not like the MacAddict magazine. It's really hit or miss. Some issues are incredible, others are trash. Their covers have been getting more boring though. This is interesting, since one of the first issues they had (maybe even the first) was comparing MacUser's magazine covers to MacWorld and saying it had really turned from a wild, exciting consumer magazine to a more professional viewpoint MacWorld clone. MacAddict's covers are now doing the same. Their web site though.. *shudder*

Hehe... sorry, didn't visit these thread in time to answer back before you did. In a way, we are making our own lil Mac magazine - it's the Press 3 newsletter, headed up by kilowatt. Volunteer for it! Who knows how far it'll go. ;)

MacAddict has always been squirrely with color and typographics and apparently with now with overall function. Like they tried to be a bit too hip and out there with Wired I'd say, and though having failed for the most part it has become a significant part of the MacAddict brand.

However, bright, distinguishable colours and hideousness need not go hand in hand.

Interesting also that they're abandoning this approach for their magazine covers, but still insist on it for their web site.

Originally posted by Jadey
However, bright, distinguishable colours and hideousness need not go hand in hand.

Too true, too true.

To be honest I don't think I've actually seen a MacAddict since perhaps the 4th issue, them appearing as such a frivolous eyesore was the main reason I never subscribed...

you should still get the mag. most of the time they have some good stuff in there. plus... you get a CD with some good apps in it.

i find the issues to be pretty vapid.

sure it is cool that had overclocking in the latest issue, but the reviews are better in MacWorld, the Software CD is unimportant as I have DSL, and the chessy HOW-TO do video effects is is horrible.

it is great that we as mac users have some choice in journalism, but these guys need to do a better job.

everyone once and a while they have a good article... the all games issue ticked me off. I do not care about games! And they have that overclocking thing every year.

Back