MacBook Pro gets Core 2 Duo

bbloke

Registered
The Apple online store went down today and it looks as though the MacBook Pro has been upgraded.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
The entire MacBook Pro line of notebooks now includes the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor and delivers performance that is up to 39 percent faster than the previous generation. All MacBook Pro models now offer double the memory and greater storage capacity than the previous generation, as well as a FireWire 800 port for connecting to high-speed peripherals.
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15" display, 1440 x 900 pixels
1GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM
$1,999.00

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15" display, 1440 x 900 pixels
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
6x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM
$2,499.00

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
17" display, 1680 x 1050 pixels
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM
$2,799.00

They're a little late, but at least they managed to hit the important "before November" time-frame. Let's hope that with them being late this time, they've done a little more testing on the hardware. I'd hate to hear about fan problems, thermal-paste hacks etc. again.

Anyone know if there's a third party solution for a 7200 RPM HD for the 15"?

Also, this new card media interface…will it accept P2 cards from the Panasonic HVX200? My plan was to get an HVX and a MBP and be able to dump off media to the laptop. It's going to be really annoying if I have to get some kind of adapter or clunky external box to do this.

The are not proprietary drives so any "normal PC" drive will work. This is assuming you get the right drive, no running a SATA drive on an ATA interface and the like.

In the first model there is no 256MB card :( No customization options either.

I don't mind using 1GB of ram(can upgrade later) but i would have really liked the graphics card to be 256MB. The only way it seems to get that 256MB card is to spend an extra 500 dollars.

Though the second model comes with more, i don't need it. All i need is that graphics card to be 256MB. I wish they made that a customizable option :(

Besides that, its good to see apple finally upgrading the MBP. Not to mention adding firewire 800 and up to 3GB of ram. Any ideas on when the MacBook will be upgraded?

Hmm... You're right. They should either release them or edit the "October" badge there. :)

If you don't need to be on the bleeding edge, you can get the old MacBook Pro models at up to 28% off, at least $500 savings.

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

• Save 28% off the original price
Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,449.00

Or, for the same price(!), you can get a black MacBook with similar specs:
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory
80GB hard drive
SuperDrive

$1,499.00

It's not lost. ;) ... But I didn't actually mean the dash to be important there, rather that they use SATA/S-ATA rather than ATA, which your message could have implied.

For anyone who cares, there is in fact a Cardbus adapter for the new Expresscard format:

http://www.duel-systems.com/products/adapters.aspx

And one for Compact flash:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093009delkinexpresscardcf.asp

Expresscard is disappointing to me because the only thing I need to plug in is a P2 card for an HVX200 video camera. The elegance is gone once I have to use an adapter. I wonder how likely it is for Panasonic to go to an Expresscard format for RevB. I'm guessing pretty unlikely.

And the fact that I can't get a 7200 RPM for the 15" (from Apple anyway) is disappointing also. Not to mention the lack of a 256 MB video card for the lower end 15".

They cleverly "cripple" the 15" just enough to tempt you into the 17". Must resist…

I couldn't figure what different between two of Core Duo and Core 2 Duo? Maybe i am so tired since its 11pm here..

The Core 2 Duo has 4MB of L2 cache as opposed to the Core Duo's 2MB, and it has better performance per watt.

I was reading up about the different available hard drive configurations, and that some use LMR and some use PMR. Is there really a big difference between the two to justify changing my order?

I just ordered the base one last night. Is it truely 64 bit yet, or still 32? Doesn't really matter to me either way, but I'd like to know. I've read there's Core2Duos that are 32 bit and another model is 64 bit so I don't know if that's even true or what.

Back