Macbook pro HD upgrade problem

pinkylbh3

Registered
I have a mid-2009 13.3-inch 2.55Ghz Macbook Pro with a 250G HD in it.
I also have a new Western Digital 320G 7200rpm drive I'd like to use to upgrade the laptop.

I used disk utility to format the new drive in an external housing (Mac OS, extended, journaled) and then used Super Duper to copy the contents of the 250G drive out to the 320G. All appeared to go well and the dupe' completed without incident.

Next, I set about the 10 screws and retaining rail that need to come out to get to the internal drive. I installed the 320G and re-assembled, but to my dismay, no boot, and indeed strange noises which I took to mean something was wrong.

Which step did I miss?

Not sure, but try holding the Option key on startup and see if the hard disk appears as a selectable startup disk. Or, start up from your system restore disc and see if the hard disk appears in the Startup Disk utility.

Hopefully you kept track of which screws go where. Most of the screws are really short with a couple long ones thrown in. If you put a long screw where a short screw belongs, that could cause serious problems. Also the screws are supposed to be installed in a particular order when putting the bottom case back on, although I don't see that it would make too much of a difference. But I always follow the correct order to be safe.

Back