MacBook Pro (late 2006) screen buzzing?

SolitaryHowl

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm having issues with my Macbook Pro's (late 2006 model, I think) screen buzzing.
It only buzzes when on low brightness settings, and when on the highest setting it doesn't buzz anymore. When it warms up (enclosure base temperature is greater than 30 C), even on the lowest setting, it no longer buzzes.

At the lowest setting, there is a very slight flickering. The edge of the screen are usually the darkest and while its buzzing there seems to be dark 'spots'

Am I correct in assuming the backlight is dying? I bought it new in late 2006. It's a 15 inch.

Oh, and I'm using the 3 prong connector, so its not a grounding issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep, backlight is dying. It sounds like simply the fluorescent tube is on its way out, but it may be something more sinister like the peanut-butter manifold ingestimator (or some other electrical component within -- like the "inverter" or something).

My guess is a new bulb. Older computers used fluorescent tubes that didn't attain full brightness until they were lit for 15 to 30 minutes, and signs that they were going out were the inability to attain full brightness, flickering, and dark spots in certain screen areas. Yours fits this description.

Not sure whether that's something one could attempt at home easily, or whether it would require a trip to the computer doctor. Not sure about pricing, either.

I've done hundreds of those screen replacements. Not the most difficult but not for the faint of heart. Requires some careful prying with a putty knife making sure not to damage the bezel (the screen doesn't matter as it would be replaced anyway). If you damage the bezel its damn near impossible to find the piece anywhere.

Back