macbook pro sadness: system files moved by mistake

samlaser

Registered
Then it would not start as it could not find startup disk and such. So after multiple disk utility combos decide to try reinstallation. Was able to use target disk mode to copy files to external hard drive. Disk one reinstallation fails in middle of archive and install option. Then it leaves half done installation with other sysytem in previous system folder. then loss of archive and install option.

What version of Mac OS X are you trying to reinstall and on what model Mac? You said you were able to copy files to another system to back up. Did you copy everything? If you have all your personal data elsewhere, you should now be safe to erase and install, if it comes to that.

I did back it all up. It is a macbook pro with 10.43 syste. I am using my friend's ibook as the host for targetmode anddd myexternal hd to back up. I have some legit apps that I no longer have the disks for that I am sad to lose and was trying to save that from happening. Thank you!

You might not lose them if you copy both the applications and their support folders back after the reinstall. Some of them may be keeping support filed in your root Library folder rather than your user Library. Those in the latter will work when you copy your user folder back. (Is the external set to ignore ownership? This is a setting in its Info window.)

I will try that. I think I am bound for wiping and clean reinstall. I am not sure if the external is set is to ignore ownership. Which info window contains that Info? Is that the external hd?

Select your external HD.
Click on Get Info (or just command-I) from the File menu.
Check the box "ignore ownership on this volume"

Back