Macs aren't talking

Arden

Where mah "any" keys at?
Lately I've been unable to use File Sharing on either the G3 or my iMac in OS 9 (only my iMac has OS X, and I have no idea to connect to the G3 from it, so I don't even bother). The two computers are sharing a DSL connection through a Siemens 2-port router. Neither has a problem with going on the Internet, but when I try to connect to the other by entering the IP address, they both say the other server didn't respond. I suspect there's an issue with the router, but I have no idea what the issue is.

Is your iMac sharing in Classic or booted into 9?

I have a feeling that the router may only be that, a router. If it does not contain a hub/switch then they are not actually connected together but rather you have two routed internet ports.

Not familiar with this unit and I will go look for it now, but if not my thought above, then maybe it just needs a tweak in settings to allow the 2 to talk.

Having only 2 ports make me think it just doesn't provide network services, just routing.

Mikey

Arden said:
Lately I've been unable to use File Sharing on either the G3 or my iMac in OS 9 (only my iMac has OS X, and I have no idea to connect to the G3 from it, so I don't even bother). The two computers are sharing a DSL connection through a Siemens 2-port router. Neither has a problem with going on the Internet, but when I try to connect to the other by entering the IP address, they both say the other server didn't respond. I suspect there's an issue with the router, but I have no idea what the issue is.

First off, boot both, and make sure that the internet connection is working for both. Get on the internet, and refresh a page just to make sure it ain't loading from the cache.

Next, go to the OS 9 machine, open the TCP/IP control panel, and make sure that the connection is working through the proper port - should be ethernet.

Same machine, open the AppleTalk control panel, make sure it's using the ethernet port, close it, and save changes when prompted.

Same machine, open Sharing (file sharing?) control panel, start it up, close and save changes if prompted.

Note: at this point I'm assuming that you are using OS X 10.3 Panther. If you are using 10.2 or earlier, it may look a little different.

Now go to the OS X machine, and open System Preferences. Go to Network, select "Show: Built-in ethernet", click on the AppleTalk tab, and check the 'Make AppleTalk Active' checkbox.

Same machine, still in System Prefs, go to Sharing, click on 'Services' tab, and make sure that 'Personal File Sharing' is checked.

Now, if you're using 10.3 Panther, open a Finder window, click on Network, and hopefully the OS 9 machine will be there. If you're using 10.2 Jaguar or earlier, then go to the Finder, select the "Go" menu, and select "Connect to server...". In 10.2 all networked computers should show up in a window, in 10.0 and 10.1 you have to select "AppleTalk" in the window that will appear.

As far as the OS 9 machine is concerned, you should be able to connect to the OS X machine via the Chooser, which should be located in the apple menu.

Hope this helps (or at least makes sense). If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me at pschastain@mac.com

(tig)

Okay, thanks to both of you. I managed to get the G3 to mount my iMac's hard drive like it used to (and yes, it used to). I'm still not sure how to do the reverse when the iMac's booted in OS X, but when I boot it in OS 9 it shouldn't be a problem.

Arden said:
Okay, thanks to both of you. I managed to get the G3 to mount my iMac's hard drive like it used to (and yes, it used to). I'm still not sure how to do the reverse when the iMac's booted in OS X, but when I boot it in OS 9 it shouldn't be a problem.

Again, make sure that the AppleTalk and File Sharing is turned on for the G3, and it SHOULD appear under 'Network' in the Finder.

For the iMac under Panther, make sure that 'Make AppleTalk Active' is checked under 'System Prefs->Network->Show:Built-in Ethernet->AppleTalk' and also that 'System Prefs->Sharing->Services->Personal File Sharing' is checked.

(tig)

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors"
"We borrow it from our children"

Back