Mail 5 not sending pictures

fpayne

Registered
Hi

Sorry, I can to find and answer to this question in the forums.

Mail 5 ( Lion) will not send pictures in emails when forwarding (always) or in new mail (only sometimes). Where the pictures should be there is a a small message saying "missing plug in".

I stopped using the previous version of mail because of its strange behaviour and use Thunderbird instead and never have these problems. But because of syncing I still need Mail as my default mail program, so would very much like it to work properly.

Have you any idea what is going on here and how I can resolve it please.

Many thanks

Frank Payne

Open Mail and in Mails Preferences select the 'Accounts' tab. Then highlight your email Account and in the right hand of the pane select thew SMTP settings pull down and select the 'Edit..." function. Then when the SMTP setup comes up use the 'Advanced' tab to see that the settings are correct.

Thanks for the reply.

Other than the server names and passwords I don't know what else there is to check there. All the settings were carried over from OSX 10.6, which worked fine. I also get the same message for video attachments.

It also makes no difference which mail server I use, gmail or me.

If there is any other information I can supply, please say.

Regards

Then open M<ail and go to the Mail =menu item 'Window' and in the drop-down select "Connection Doctor". In connection Doctor near the bottom click on the 'Show Detail'. Then click on the 'Check Again' bottom. Then you will get a read out of the program connecting your email servers. Then post just the entry that errors out connecting to your SMTP server. This way we can help you better.

Thanks very much for that.

Unfortunately, there are no lines saying there is an error connecting to an SMTP server. The word "error" occurs nowhere in the whole log. The log appears to say everything is normal. Apart from losing the attachments, everything works fine.

I am happy to send you the whole log, but I would prefer not to post it here.

Regards

Well then open Mail and then go to Mail's menu item 'Edit' and in the drop-down highlight "Attachments". In the selection select the settings that says "Always send Windows-Friendly Attachments". See if that helps, Good Luck.

Thanks again.

That is checked as well and always has been.

I also should have said there are three Macs on the network and all have the same problem. It is not just isolated to the one computer. The attachments are stripped out as soon as you press the forward button, before you try and send the message.

I'm wondering about the "missing plug-in"
Does Mail need a plug-in to SEND pictures as attachments, or is a plug-in only needed to VIEW pictures? and, the pictures are actually still there, just not viewable.
What graphics format are these pictures?
Are they always the same graphics file type? (jpg, png, etc, etc?)

I think that I am leading up to the real question:
Ignoring what you see, or don't see on your end, does your recipient get the pictures that you send? Or, are they totally gone from the email?

Ahhh!

You appear to be right. When I send the email, the attachments are still there and send normally. I just can not see them myself.

The file formats that will not end are wmv and some, but not all jpg files. There are also some web pages that will not send in their entirety from Safari, but that may well be a different issue.

So as you say, I need a plug in to be able to view the images i the forwarded email. What I do not understand is why I can see them in the received email but not when it is forwarded.

Thanks again for all the help.

OK, I'll ask the question:
Are you really sending complete web pages as an attachment?
You do mean that you provide a web link, correct?

Viewing .wmv video files just doesn't work for every file - as some may be protected video files, needing a codec that doesn't work on anything but Windows.

Are your problem pictures only those that you want to send on, and are those that you have received through emails?
Do you also have the problem with your own photos that you insert in an email? That is, inserted pictures can't be viewed after you attach them as part of an email?

"Are you really sending complete web pages as an attachment?
You do mean that you provide a web link, correct?"

From Safari I select the option to 'Mail Contents of This Page' which then opens it as a message in Mail showing the entire page. Sometimes after being sent, the main body of the article is missing.

"Are your problem pictures only those that you want to send on, and are those that you have received through emails?"

It would seem to be only those I have received in emails and wish to forward on, but it is a problem that has arisen only since the upgrade to Lion. So far, I have not had any problems sending any of my own photos.

I hope this makes thins a little clearer.

Thanks again for everyone's help

From Safari I select the option to 'Mail Contents of This Page' which then opens it as a message in Mail showing the entire page. Sometimes after being sent, the main body of the article is missing.

When you "Mail Contents of This Page," you email a "live" HTML document. You do not send pictures, but links to pictures. The fact that these links are not always not resolved is not unique to Lion. This would also explain why the main body of your message is missing. It is also linked into the message rather than being a part of the text.

One explanation for your "problem" is that your emailed web pages may require that you enter your credentials. There may be no way to do this via email.

Thanks for the reply.

I guessed the Safari problem was something like that. It does not always happen.

I am more interested in why some attachments can not be seen in outgoing mail messages. At least I now know they are still there.

Regards

Thanks for the reply.

I guessed the Safari problem was something like that. ...
If a linked element on the page requires your credentials, then you cannot email it. However, not every element requires your credentials. Just like this is not a Lion problem, it is also not a Safari problem.

Back