Mail Move

Chilternburt

Registered
I have to move a clients mail from and old powermac to a newer G5 tower, both of which are running 10.4.11 Server....
Do i just have to recreate the user accounds in the Workgroup Manager and copy the /var/imap
and /var/spool/imap
or is there more to it, any suggestions would be welcome, esp since my command line skillz are lacking a bit
thanks in advance!

Are you using an Open Directory? If so, then you should be able to setup the new machine as a 10.4.11 Open Directory Replica, remove the current server and promote the Replica to Master.

You could look at mailbfr (http://osx.topicdesk.com/content/view/41/57/) as a possible way to backup all the data and restore.

You can also look at the Mail service guide:
http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/Mail_Service_Admin_v10.5_2nd_Ed.pdf

I would test all ideas in a trial environment before deciding that it's done! :)

Michael

I have to move a clients mail from and old powermac to a newer G5 tower, both of which are running 10.4.11 Server....
Do i just have to recreate the user accounds in the Workgroup Manager and copy the /var/imap
and /var/spool/imap
or is there more to it, any suggestions would be welcome, esp since my command line skillz are lacking a bit
thanks in advance!

Effectively there are a few steps to take.

First of all copy all data from the map /var/spool/imap to the new location.

2nd use the following commands:

su
mv /var/imap /var/imap.old
mkdir /var/imap
/usr/bin/cyrus/tools/mkimap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/imap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/spool/imap
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -i
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/cyrus-quota -f

There is a difference for 10.3 and 10.4 in user / group name, this sequence is for 10.4. Always tes before applying. If needed, you can even put the mail on another location (using serveradmin /mailmodule). If have done that to prevent mail lose when reinstalling os-x server.

See also document 107996 on the apple site.

Users can be exported and imported using wgm. Passwords (in od) is also possible, but i have not available the command for it. But there is a thread in this are specifying the required command. Otherwise the poster might help you out on that subject.

Good luck, Kees

Back