MAIL program does multiple drafts

aicul

Registered
I use leopards mail program and note that the mail generates multiple copies of the mails I am writing as "drafts".

This is a real nuissance as it generates a ridiculous network traffic that is of no use.

Is there anyway of preventing mail from saving mails being written as drafts?

I've noticed this problem but only intermittently.

Are you using IMAP or POP3 email? And where do you store your drafts (on your Mac or on the server, if using IMAP)?

I had this happen the other day, hadn't seen it for a while but Mail.app is renown for doing odd things at times .....

I have the prefs set to store Drafts on the server (imap) FWIW ...

Yeah I do too, and that's when it has saved multiple copies of drafts.

I *suspect* that it's a problem with the interaction between the IMAP server and Mail.app.

Try saving drafts locally and see if that helps.

hi

I have Imap. However if I refer to mail help, drafts are stored only on save.

So the location of drafts ( server or local ) should not matter.

I will test setting drafts to local as a work-around.

Cheers

I end up deleting the dupes even if I have to navigate to their nested location on my HD ... have you tried Repairing Permissions using Disc Utility ...

Yes, I do that regularly.. but I fail to see the link.

Fact is that if the mail you are writing includes a 1mb attachment and Mail does 186 copies of the draft - I'm slow writer sometimes - that 186mb of diskquota that dissappears. Not to mention that it all gets replicated on the web.

This seems unreal that apple doesn't manage drafts correctly.

@aicul You say it only saves drafts on save, I'm not entirely sure of the phrasing of the apple help context, but it automatically saves drafts every few minutes.

What appears to be happening is that, when using IMAP, it doesn't destroy the old, existing draft, but saves a new copy of it. This likely wouldn't happen with local drafts, or with an IMAP server that's properly configured (just a guess here!).

I agree with what you say is happening. It does seem that mail does a save without deleting the previous saved draft. Quite absurd because I am not aware of any other apple application that does this - so why mail?

I have browsed throught the mail preferences .plist and found nothing that could let me disable automatic save of drafts.

Fact is when you finally send a draft and hence close it, mail should do some cleanup.

Back