Make a Scratch into a Primary Volume?

Harp

Raised by wolves
Does anyone know how I can switch the jumpers (or what that means) in order to turn a firewire scratch into a primary volume?

Read this post: http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277935

My OS seems to be nonexistant or at least lying dormant and the only access I have is of the OSX Tiger install CD.
I was installing a system update when my system crashed and I am trying to install OSX onto a scratch and boot it with my primary drive as a slave in order to finish installing the failed update. The problems are explained in more detail in the linked thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and hopefully will keep me out of the Genius Bar.

I've never checked to see but if you plug in the Firewire drive then boot from the CD it seems you should see the firewire drive in the Start Up Disk preference panel.

Then you can select it as the start up volume. This I do frequently to test my backups.

No, it doesn't list anything for me. I've tried with two different firewires and a USB.

Harp. If the hard drive is connected inside of an external enclosure, the jumpers were probably already set correctly. There's no quick, easy answer to tell you just exactly what to do with the jumpers because different brands of hard drives do their jumpers differently. If you look at the actual bare hard drive, there's probably a chart on there that shows you the various jumper settings. If not, you could always google "seagate barracuda jumper settings" -- if your drive was a Seagate Barracuda, for example.

Further, if your drive is going into an external enclosure, it needs to be set to Master.

"Scratch" and "primary" have nothing to do with jumpers. Jumpers on a hard drive on a PATA bus only help to determine whether or not there's two drives connected -- "master" and "slave" -- which are misleading, because "master" has no precedence, importance or anything over the "slave" drive. It's just a way for the computer to differentiate between two drives connected to the same bus. They could be called "zebra" and "horse" or "A" and "B" or "1" and "2" -- anything just to tell them apart. The "master" doesn't go any faster than the "slave." There's no difference, and "primary" and "scratch" have nothing to do with "master" and "slave."

Further, if a bus only has one drive on it, the drive should be set to Master and attached to the end connector of the ribbon cable. If a bus has two drives on it, the Master should be at the end of the ribbon cable and the Slave attached to the middle connector.

Further, if a bus only has one drive on it, the drive should be set to Master and attached to the end connector of the ribbon cable. If a bus has two drives on it, the Master should be at the end of the ribbon cable and the Slave attached to the middle connector.
Yes, almost -- some computers require that "Cable Select" be jumpered, while others require that the drive be jumpered as "Master", and yet others require that the drive have no jumpers at all (Sun workstations, etc.).

Still yet to confuse the concept is that the drive sometimes requires itself to be jumpered as "Master" if used alone, sometimes the drive requires no jumpers, and sometimes it requires "Cable Select" if used alone.

The easiest thing to do is consult the documentation for both the computer and the hard drive and decide which jumper setting is correct. The drive literature should specify what jumper settings to use in which situations, and the computer literature should as well. The union of both literatures should provide you with ONE jumper scenario which should be used.

Back