Making an older G3 imac wirless?

sarrih

Registered
I have a G# 400 DV slot loading Imac. I just became wirless in our new home and want to make this older mac wirless...can anyone tell me a simple and cheap way to do it? I heard to buy an older airport base station...but is it that easy to buy it and plug and play?

is that easy. You'll need an Airport Card and the card carrier. Install the card in the carrier and use a coin to open the RAM access slot in the bottom of the machine. The antenna wire should be hanging on a silicone rubber tab near the RAM. Insert the antenna Firmly into the hole in the Airport card and plug the carrier into the connector on the logic board. Light it up and you should see wireless available in System Preferences.

Or, if you don't want to open the thing, since working on the iMac G4 can be a touch tricky with the monitor neck, you can just by a wireless ethernet bridge. This will basically convert any wired connection into wireless.

or you could just put the router next to that computer and plug it in directly through ethernet. That's kinda wireless.

Back