Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-845S Startup Issue

macresource

Registered
Recently installed a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-845S into my G4 Aluminum PowerBook. Running Mac OS 10.4.3.

Drive works flawlessly except that it won't boot from a Boot CD or DVD using the "Command - C" Keyboard command. I can choose the boot CD or DVD from the "Startup Disk" System Preference and that works. I'm on my second drive with the same problem. Allmac, the company I purchased the drive from claims they have installed this unit on hundreds of aluminum PowerBooks and have never experienced this problem. Reinstalling the OEM SuperDrive (Matshita UJ-825C) solves the problem. With the top case open and several successful attempts with the OEM Drive I again installed the Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-845S, booted the computer, quickly inserted a boot DVD and again restarted the computer holding down Command - C. This time the computer booted using the keyboard command. I tried this again with a boot CD with the same result. However after allowing the machine to boot entirely on its own and then again attempting to start-up from a boot disk using "Command - C", I was again back to square one.

PatchBurn4.0.0a4 only muddled things up worse as Mac OS 10.4.3 apparently now includes support for third party optical drives. I uninstalled PatchBurn.

Machine Specifications:
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0
Serial Number: W84253XTQHY

Any thoughts are appreciated.