MBP Battery refused to be calibrated

DarkSorrow

Registered
i had this battery for less than 2 years with my less than two years old Macbook Pro. If i leave it on battery mode, it went to shutdown without any kind of warning in less than 10 min, not any kind of battery low dialog appear, just went to shutdown.

So i went to Apple.com to get some help and they sugguested me to recalibrate my battery, (i never calibrate my battery because i never knew that i have to keep my battery calibrate every 2 months). Then it told me to get it fully charged, so did got it fully chraged and keep it fully charged for 2 hours and unplug it, then it told me there will be a battery low dialog appear. Umm problem is... my Leopard never warned me about the battery low dialog ever since i installed Leopard, this happen in my Tiger as well, it first started happen in Tiger then it still keep now showing it in Leopard. So i keep it unplug and drained all the battery, but it went to shutdown without sleeping. so i checked my battery life, it keep saying 17%, 35%, 27%, 6%, changing every day.

So is there a way to force calibrate my battery? because i hate to keep it plugged at all time

You might want to check this link out:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

I had to take advantage of the battery exchange on my MacBook, which was less than 2 years old, but no longer covered by AppleCare. My battery had a total of 64 charging cycles on it. Calibrating it dropped it to less than 50% of it's original capacity from about 93% (no, I hadn't performed calibration religiously, but that qualified as low in my book).

The lady at Apple that I spoke with was very helpful, and set up the exchange, which was done overnight via DHL at no expense to me. The only parts of the process that sucked were 1) DHL sucks in my area, so they door tagged the wrong house and said I wasn't home when I'd been home all day, and 2) I used my Visa Check Card to secure the transaction in case I didn't return the old battery (yes, they want it back). It was explained to me that a retailer can put a hold on funds to reserve them for later capture (like if you don't return the battery in a timely manner). However, a check card doesn't have that capability, so the funds were deducted immediately, and then refunded when Apple got the battery back.

If your laptop fits the description in the link above, I'd recommend exchanging it with Apple. I did, and my new battery seems to be working great.

Hope this helps.

Back