MBP SSD flash or Blueray?

MnM

Registered
I'm so set on buying a macbook pro. With this is mind does anyone know if in the next release (8-12 months because it was just updated) one of the following will be added to the macbook pro's next update:

1) SSD flash based drive (fryke some info?)

2) blueray dvd burner

Also if one of these were to be added which one would most likely come first?

Your input is really really appreciated.

I plan to do some research on the topic myself but haven't had much time. It seems, like most things in life money is the issue.

Prices for both devices are ridiculous at the present moment. However they are much cheaper compared to the past and will continue to decline as the future progresses. I'm looking to see if anyone has any indication as to wether or not either of the above mentioned technologies, will drop enough in price to be seen in the next update of the macbook pro.

I don't have any real info on that, just speculation...
I'm sure Apple is looking at BluRay and HD-DVD very closely, but right now might just be a bad time to choose one format. Also, if superslim slotloading drives for notebooks even _exist_ (dunno right now), they'd be quite expensive, and Apple probably doesn't want to add to the pricepoint right now. They could offer such a drive as an option, but that's not how Apple works. When they decide that BluRay is the way to go (or the other one), they'll put those drives into the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro on their highend system and proclaim that they _have_ decided and with good reason. I don't think they can do that right now.

About the flash drives: Same thing, basically. They _do_ exist, but they're expensive and come with small capacities. I'd look for those on the 3rd party market, though. If you can get your hands on a 2.5" S-ATA flash-based drive of any siize, you can use that in a MacBook or MacBook Pro without problems. The computer just sees it as a drive it can format and use. You might want to consider to have both anyway. Get it with a 200 GB normal drive, buy some 32 or 48 GB flash drive and use the one that makes sense. A cheap external 2.5" S-ATA case can take up the other drive.
I'm not suggesting to swap those drives on a daily basis, though...

My guess is that flash-based notebook drives will make an entry on a subnotebook of some kind. (The infamous 12" PB replacement, MacBook Thin or something like that.) It'd make more marketing sense there than in a full-fledged MBP they aim at video professionals who want 500 GB or 2 TB drives in their MBPs. ;)

Back