Melted MagSafe power connector

There has been endless FUD on this, accusations that apple demanded the pix be taken down from Flikr (they apparently politely asked the guy with the MacBook to take them down while they sorted the problem) while others seems to think it couldn't have happened as he said (as the gold pins in the pictures are undamaged). For now I'm reserving judgement until it happens again or a proper explanation emerges.

One such MagSafe thingie catches fire and everyone thinks "All MagSafe thingies are prone to fire catching" immediately... Hmm... Why isn't the first thought to check whether the temparature in the house was, say, similar to hell's or whether there was anything else involved? So I, too, wait with my judgement before there's at least a statement from Apple.

We all do not truly know what actually happened in the case. I have heard even the cat pee explanation. I also give no judgment until the real facts come out. I just want to make sure any computer manufacturer would have done almost the same thing Apple has done (asking for the picture to be removed). Apple just went above by offering to replace the Mac.

My only beef was the quick posting by the person of the pictures. This kind of thing exactly what the Apple FUD spouters are locking for. I am surprised CNET hasn't jumped all over this.

I'm not sure exactly HOW the MagSafe connector could catch fire, so it's probably something else. Maybe the magnet's generating extra electricity or something (very unlikely).

Btw, what does FUD mean?

well my magsafe got a false contact and one of the pins, both in mbp and magsafe whent burnt black...going to service it soon

Back