Migration Asst. Error - Damaged User Profiles?

itbedave

Registered
I've got an iMac G5 17", 2GHz that was running OS X 10.4.11. We had a storm where the power flickered and then dropped completely, shutting down the iMac. When I rebooted it a day later, it wouldn't go past the gray Apple screen. I booted from the Tiger DVD and repaired permissions. Then I ran disc repair. It showed a few crosslinked file errors, then stopped and said it couldn't repair the disc. Uh-Oh - that's never been good. So I rebooted and ran it again, this time, disc repair didn't find any problems and permissions were fine. Ok - so great I though. I rebooted from the HD. Same symptoms.

Alright - I was going to upgrade this to Leopard anyway, so I booted from the Leopard DVD and repaired permissions again and ran disc repair. A few permissions were repaired, but disc repair/verify said everything was ok. So I went ahead and did an Archive and Install with Leopard.

When I got to the migration part, it showed the 3 accounts I had under Tiger on the same drive, and I told it to import them. Only a few seconds later, it told me there was an error migrating accounts and gave me a choice to skip and try later or try again. I tried again, got the same error immediately. So I went ahead and skipped it, thinking once I got booted up and made sure I installed all the updates, I would try the migration assistant manually.

Did all of that - tried Migration Assistant - same errors. Doesn't matter if I select one account or all 3. Just errors out. All the data seems to be there. I'm just not sure how to fix it now IF I can without manually rebuilding accounts and resetting permissions for everything I move from the old accounts.

Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Back