• Reese Witherspoon

• Bai Ling

• Rachel Weisz

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rhisiart

Registered
OK. Now for the up-to-date actresses.

Bai Ling gets my vote because:

1. I think I was Chinese in my former life.

2. She was great in Red Corner (although the film badly mis-cast the male lead role).

Rachel Weiz gets my vote. I thought she was good in "Swept from the sea" and her performances to date haven't disappointed.

... although that probably says more about your taste in stories than about her acting skills. ;) ... Penélope Cruz. That woman certainly has more talent than more than half the other dotties in the list combined. ;) (Sorry, but... Renée? J.Lo?!)

Can't say I'm a fan of any of them. I like Reese Witherspoon, but only for about 5 minutes at a time. After that, her cuteness just grates on my nerves. If I had to pick one, it would have to be Julia Roberts, but I'm not a really big fan. None of them have the power to pull me to a theater, or even to a video store.

The only one I especially dislike is Jennifer Lopez. The idea of her as an actress just bugs me.

Where are (in random order):

Angelina Jolie?
Keira Knightley?
Michelle Pfeiffer?
Catherine-Zeta Jones?
Maggie Smith? ;-)
Monica Bellucci?
Cher?
Milla Yovovich?

Just trolling a bit ... not so easy to make a stragithforward choice. Audrey Hepburn was easy to pick out of the rest and won by a mile.

It's too bad, but the days of stars like Ingrid Bergman and Katharine Hepburn are gone.

I'd complain that the same is true for the male stars as well, except that there are still a few such as Depp and Spacey that are taking quality parts.

Hmmm, maybe it isn't the acting, but that the quality of the writing that has dimenshed. If female characters were better written, then there would be better acting.

Hmmm... I don't think this is right. Best actresses goes on the premise that they are the best at acting for their gender. Julia Roberts would never get that title. Best starlet or personality seems a more appropriate title.

I voted for Penelope, but only for her roles in Pedro Almodover's films.

I don't know why but she totaly sucks when she's acting in English…

I voted Scarlett Johansson for lost in translation. I haven't seen the almodovar films, to my shame but I saw Cruz in Abre Los Ojos and she was good in tat (a hell of a lot better than in the US remake with the scientologist midget).

I think part of the problem is there aren't the roles for women there are for men, except a few rare cases.

Oh and J Lo in the list would have irritated me, except she was great in Out of Sight, but has been pathetic ever since she started singing, i guess she needs a quality director like Steven Soderbergh, and maybe less ego than she has now, to perform well.

Back