Mouse

OldSkool

Registered
I have had my iMac G4 800Mhz 17in wide for a year now and have yet to figure out how to get the mouse to work properly. First of all let me say how much I hate that apple mouse. Not because of it not being two button but just the mouse in general does not move well compared to my Microsoft Trackball. So I bought a MS Trackball for it but no matter what settings I use the cursor will not move fast with the trackball, I have tried using the system to control it and also the MS software and it is always slow regardless. I downloaded mouse zoom and it moves better now though not like I like. My other bigger annoyance with the mouse is that it slows down over icons or anything that can be clicked. How do I change that setting? Once again my two questions:

1. How can I get my MS Trackball to be faster? Anyone else have this problem?

2. How do I stop the cursor from slowing down over icons or stuff like that?

Thanks.

Get yourself a Kensington input device and their MouseWorks software. That will allow you to set the tracking to supersonic speeds.
I use the Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro (5 buttons and scroll-wheel) myself. And I have MouseWorks configured so that my cursor zooms from one corner of my screen to the opposite corner with just a flick of the wrist.
:D

There's also a way to configure it from the Terminal... I can't remember what it is, but if you ask Bobw, he should tell you, I know that he knows it.

What system are you using. Not sure if the Terminal hack will work in Panther.

Thanks for the answers on speed...but what about how the cursor slows over icons? I cannot find a setting for that. Surely others have noticed this?

Sheesh, that's an old post. :p

It still works fine in 10.3, though. :D

OldSkool, I haven't ever seen the cursor slow over icons or anything else. Even trying it just now, I don't see anything.

my mouse has stopped working properly and it's the clear one click on. I would get another make but they are butt ugly and can't bring myself to do it cos I LOVE my mac mouse, just the damn thing won't work properly!

Why don't you replace that one with a new Apple mouse then? The wired ones aren't too much.

I needed a 3 button mouse to work with Shake and Maya and tried the MS trackball but it did not function properly even with the MS software.
Finally, I got the Kensington Studio Mouse w their Mouseworks software and it works
great, I'm able to get fast pointer speeds.

Back