Move OSX from Failing HD possible?

jprupas

Registered
Hi friends. I have a brand new MBPro15. The SMART status says I have a failing 7,200 RPM HD. Apple sent me a DIY for replacement. I am unable to run time machine for a backup. It receives and error each time. Most likely due to the failing HD.

I was able to get all my important files backup to an external HD. Except for all my bookmarks, calendars, settings, etc. I do have a .Mac account with sync. I am hoping I can pull that data off and onto the new OSX. Is that possible? IS there any other way to transfer this important info before I replace the HD with the new one?

Can I just make a clone of my current HD and put the OSX on the new HD? Or is a best to do a clean install, than transfer important settings and bookmarks?

Thanks so much

I would do a clean install, then transfer over the data you want to salvage manually.

If you "clone" or copy settings files, etc., from the old, failing hard drive, you risk pulling across corrupted data. If the hard drive is failing, then you cannot trust the data on the hard drive... that's why a clean install of Mac OS X would be a good idea, then manually pulling across only known-good data.

If your bookmarks and calendars are all synced up with MobileMe, then you only need to reinstall OS X, then activate MobileMe with your username and password in the System Preferences, then instruct it to replace all data on your computer with data from MobileMe.

Back