Moving pictures. Moving sound. Moving the industry (Apple@NAB)

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
Se the full story here: MacCentral

"Moving pictures. Moving sound. Moving the industry," says the invitation Apple sent today. "Please join Apple for a special presentation at NAB 2004 to see the latest Apple technology."

Mabey a new hardware product?

just like the mp3 player market 2 years ago apple is about to take over the tivo market. I really want to get a tivo but will not pay for subscriptions and I would so much rather be inputing shows to record on my ibook then fumbling around with a remote to get my shows recorded. I could even use the built in airport extreme to transfer quicktime trailers, video clips, photos from my mac with ease. Then when I record a show onto the hard drive of this great new device I can send it to my mac and burn it to dvd or cd for archiving. Better yet I can listen to all my favorite cds through my tv and have itunes visualizer bring the disco era back to my living room. With the integrated 3G dock connector I can easily plug my ipod in for easy listening at anyones house who may have this great new gadget. The vcr is about to die and no one has stepped up to the plate yet.

I honestly don't know what to expect. Apple is very careful with what it is that it does, and they continually make strides not to get into a saturated market. I think thats why we never saw the iShot. Apple has said time and time and again that they aren't going to do OSX Media Center like Microsoft did. But thats not to say that they won't come out with a set top box. But I also don't see them doing that either. At least not yet.

Who knows. I doubt its iPod video. The date that it is, is just about the one year anniversary of the iTunes Music Store.

here come the video ipod rumors... duck!

I want the powerbook G5 with special edition mobile video editing laptop, G5 powerbooks would rock. But it will probably be an update to shake or FCP or something.

... or DVD Studio or something. I don't expect any hardware, although it would certainly be nice. An Apple branded TiVo like thing. But why not make it portable in size while at it? ;-)

I was very impressed with the prototype I saw at the January Consumer Electronics Show of the upcoming Sony "Take-Anywhere" television. It was a flat panel screen (about 14 inches) with a built-in lithium ion battery, a retractable handle and a picture frame-like stand on the back. The base broadcast via 802.11g. It was connected to both coaxial cable TV and the Net. It had USB as well as a couple of other ports I did not recognize that he said he could not talk about. The cool thing is the flat panel part can be taken anywhere there is wireless access and you take your TV channels with you. So I could be in the Denver Airport (or anywhere) watching my cable tv channels from home. The case for thi device was white like an Apple product. And I would not be surprised if Apple is innovating at the forefront of video/wireless devices such as these. At least I hope they are. II'll wait with my credit card at the ready!

I think it's portable too, thus the moving...

I want to see a phone with all this damnit, so i have reason to get a new cell phone.

I'm absolutely convinced there'll be an airport extreme capable Tivo-like PVR announced, probably a set-top box, capable of streaming iTunes etc. "iPod for your TV". Don't think it will be a portable device.

Well, whatever it is, it is going to be exciting, I hope.
Also, the other date to watch out for is March 23rd. Hopefully we'll get the speed bumped G5s with the 90nm chips.
The next two months could be exciting, or they could be as dull as the MacWorld Expo this January.

That's in fact quite a good guess, I think! :) ... However, it could be accompanied by something...

Qucktime 7 gets my vote however, now that I'm thinking about it and I haven't seen to many of these but an apple digital video camera with a built in 40 GIG HD aka the ipod would be kind of cool.

From macosrumors.com

Could this be it !?

Apple Home Entertainment Hub rumors persist: Although details remain hazy, we continue to receive reports from some of our oldest and most well-established sources regarding an Apple "Digital Lifestyle Device," often referred to by the nickname (not believed the official codename) "Hydra."

The device would primarily be for transporting audio, video, and other content from Macs and iPods to common Home Entertainment System output components like TVs, stereos, speakers, et cetera -- rather than storing and/or playing back the content itself, the device would be an innovative multi-function adapter and may include both wired and wireless components.

The "Hydra" would be low in cost (under $200) and if these reports prove accurate, could interface with an remarkably broad range of wired as well as wireless devices.

... what do you all think?

It is more likely that it is going to be Quicktime 7. The current implementation of Mpeg4 is absolutely awful, and is a huge step back from Quicktime 5. There have been numerous comparisons done, and I have to agree. Mpeg4 under Quicktime 6.5 had the lowest quality of all the codecs compared.

Last year at Apples Quicktime State of the Union, it was mentioned that there was something being added to Quicktime called Advanced Video Codec or AVC (video equivalent to AAC), and that it had the highest quality of any other format. This is what Apple needs desparately.

I still use Sorenson 3 due to that, so yea, that needs to be fixed.

I like 3vix, great qaulity at crazy low file sizes. I guess it's the same as divx.

Back